matel

Is this even possible?

Awhile back I watched this episode of CSI NY.

Int he beginning of the clip, a deceased robber is found with LEDs surrounding his neck.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/csi_ny/video/?pid=_UV6DCG6wyTobdwptt0NOKmDYQTJIKj3

In the plot of the story a team of robbers bust into a penthouse and are able to obscure their identities from the security camera

because of the LEDs they wear around their necks. Is that even possible or science fiction?

Cant watch that in my country (oh yeah thanks CBS, least fox lets me watch their stuff )

Well depends .. if its outside the visible spectrum, Infrared LEDs, it has to be a Color IR or Day Night camera for IR to affect it and the IR cut filter (if the camera has one) has to be removed such as due to low light ... otherwise a standard color camera with a fixed IR cut filter wont see it. If its visible LEDs then it could cause some glare but how bad it is would depend on what camera it is.

Bottom line, it would make more sense to just wear a mask.

But it looks good for TV, I guess masks have been done already

As with much of technology on TV and in the movies, there's a basis in fact, but most of what you see is... "embellished". I can't see the episode (site won't show it to me in Canada), but I'm guessing they're supposed to be IR LEDs, working on the theory that the cameras will probably be IR types as well. The idea would be, of course, that the LEDs would "blind" the camera, much the same way as someone might blind you by shining a flashlight in your face.

In theory, you could blind a camera this way... in reality, the output from the LEDs would be highly directional and this would really only work if you were shining the LEDs *directly* into the camera's lens. Wandering around a room with a ring of LEDs around your neck would at best probably just show as brief flashes as the beam struck the camera.

And of course, all that assumes it's a not a color camera with an IR cut filter...

Yes camera's with out line cut can be fooled but it would take more then some around a neck. I seen a utube video where a guy had a mask and a safety vest with leds on the reflecting lines the some camera's blacked out while some were whited out from glare. It was really wild.