Sign in to follow this  
deptrai

Hair salon system

My sister-in law owns a small beauty salon and it was recently burgularized. Basically a smash & grab job after hours. Threw a brick through the window, grabbed a bunch of merchandise & fled.

She has asked me to help come up with a security system to deter this from happening again. Unless cutting through the walls/roof there is only one entrance at the front. Its a full glass window/door about 30' wide and 10' tall. Would like that area covered by a camera capable of recording images at night and would probably want the cash register area covered as well.

My wife is pointing me to the Costco & Amazon $299 - $599 complete systems, but I suspect they are probably not very high quality.

Please suggest a few camera/ stand alone DVR systems that I could begin researching.

Thanks in advance.

As far as door I would look into the security film. Do a search for it. There might be a dealer in your area. They still might be able to get in but it will take alot of work even with a bat. As far as the deals at cosco you get what you pay for. I know some people on here can hook you up on video cards for computers I have seen some talk about one for about 300 dollars you can find on ebay. I have never seen a good camera at a retail store for sale. Look at some of the post I don't think I can suggest the one's we sell on here via the rules. But I know you can find some good deals on ebay and craigslist that a dealer may have and trying to get rid of. Really depends on the area you are trying to cover. Do you need a camera to see at night with not much light?

“Its a full glass window/door about 30' wide and 10' tall. Would like that area covered by a camera capable of recording images at night and would probably want the cash register area covered as well.”

A 30 ft wide area would need a 5 mega pixel camera to cover it for 86 pixels per foot. This would give reasonable facial recognition. An example of this camera is here.

http://www.arecontvision.com/index.php?section=product&subsection=product_details&product_id=10

Not enough detail given for cash register as to were it is or what you want to cover, it may be better to give it its own camera specific to its needs.

Also depending on outside layout 2 good quality analog cameras pointing each way down the side walk may be very helpful but you would still need 1 camera for overall view of window, but this one could be lower resolution.

Just 2 cameras, 1 for window and 1 for cash register could both be mega pixel IP cameras and depending who’s camera you buy you can get free recording software. Analog cameras would require stand alone DVR or computer with special analog capture card, or IP converters. Lots of possibilities here.

As you can see this can get complicated real quick.

“Its a full glass window/door about 30' wide and 10' tall. Would like that area covered by a camera capable of recording images at night and would probably want the cash register area covered as well.”

A 30 ft wide area would need a 5 mega pixel camera to cover it for 86 pixels per foot. This would give reasonable facial recognition. An example of this camera is here.

http://www.arecontvision.com/index.php?section=product&subsection=product_details&product_id=10

Not enough detail given for cash register as to were it is or what you want to cover, it may be better to give it its own camera specific to its needs.

Also depending on outside layout 2 good quality analog cameras pointing each way down the side walk may be very helpful but you would still need 1 camera for overall view of window, but this one could be lower resolution.

Just 2 cameras, 1 for window and 1 for cash register could both be mega pixel IP cameras and depending who’s camera you buy you can get free recording software. Analog cameras would require stand alone DVR or computer with special analog capture card, or IP converters. Lots of possibilities here.

As you can see this can get complicated real quick.

Nimrod. do you do the costings for your company for the customer??? you are very quick to price yourself out of a job.

going from a costco system to 2x 5mp and 2 Analog is way over spec.

a simple good reliable Dahua 4 way dvr with 4 good cameras will do the job. i would stay away from the costcos/sam`s box systems. there are a few stockists of dahua on here. were are you located ??

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in California. The cash register is near the front glass, but not adjacent to it. Its a small area about 6' x 6'.

“Nimrod. do you do the costings for your company for the customer??? you are very quick to price yourself out of a job.

going from a costco system to 2x 5mp and 2 Analog is way over spec.”

Tom read my post more carefully, i was giving them ideas for 2 different systems. And letting them know there were lots of possibilities for different setups. For the information given i think i did a good job.

1) 2 ip camera system 1pc 5mp and 1pc unspecified ip mp because of lack of information for cash register. And take advantage of free ip software from camera mfgr.

2) 3 analog camera system, 2 pcs out side to watch sidewalk for ident, 1 inside for overall view. And as i said in my post no details were given on cash register so no recommendation for camera given.

I think of all the systems advised yours and mine my 2 ip camera solution is the best. These people want to do this themselves, they do not want to buy 4 cameras and figure out were and how to mount them, wire them up and set them up. They want a simple solution.

You were very short on details on your proposal, but my guess is you wanted 1 camera on the register leaving 3 cameras for the 30ft window. 30ft / 3 = 10ft per camera, 480tvl / 10ft = 48 pix per foot, this would be very poor for facial identification which is what they are looking for.

“Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in California. The cash register is near the front glass, but not adjacent to it. Its a small area about 6' x 6'.”

For the front window we know you wanted identification of people if they broke in again. We do not know what you want for the cash register, are you looking for ident of people robbing you, or want close up of cash drawer for employees stealing money, or do you want to record all transactions from register with a customer face, or?

3 cameras for the 30ft window. 30ft / 3 = 10ft per camera, 480tvl / 10ft = 48 pix per foot, this would be very poor for facial identification which is what they are looking for.

Hi Nimrod. please dont take this the wrong way but lens charts just dont work for me at all. a good vari focal camera will give you a very good face image at 10ft-20ft even 30ft

“Hi Nimrod. please dont take this the wrong way but lens charts just dont work for me at all. a good vari focal camera will give you a very good face image at 10ft-20ft even 30ft”

Sounds to me like we are talking about 2 different things, i am talking about width and i think you are talking about depth.