tlavite

Mounting cameras with exposed wiring

Okay so I am currently installing 16 cameras at a hotel. The problem with this install is the first floor has no drop ceiling and all concrete walls. The first floor has conduit running all down the walls in the hall. There is no way into the ceiling of the first floor. The owner told us to just run the wiring along the top of the conduit, no problem it looks good and you can barely even see the wire. The problem comes when we go to mount cameras and we have a DC plug and a big balun hanging from the side of the camera. I was thinking about mounting an octagon power box and stuffing the balun and DC plug inside it and mount the camera to the box. I am going back there tomorrow to do the cameras on the first floor. The second floor was easy since there was an attic and all the wiring runs through there.

Anyone have any good suggestions to this sort of problem? would an octagon box work or do they make anything specifically for this.

Not a CCTV expert, but have mounted many a light from trusty ole octo boxes. In your situation I think the box and a short run of conduit would go a long way to protect the wire, assuming the rest could be hidden well enough.

Not a CCTV expert, but have mounted many a light from trusty ole octo boxes. In your situation I think the box and a short run of conduit would go a long way to protect the wire, assuming the rest could be hidden well enough.

Thanks! I'll probably pic up a couple boxes tomorrow and see what else they have at the hardware store box wise.

Gang box camera mount is not uncommon.

Serves a good purpose when you need to tuck power connections, and or video baluns.

IMG_20110529_132945.jpg

Looks good. Mine will be with small dome cameras. I might paint the blue boxes white to match the hotel ceiling unless I can find white boxes at the store.

Thank you i've done the same with dome cameras. Sounds like the best solution, and like I said not uncommon at all. Painting them to match the walls/ceilings will make it nicer, I would recommend it.