gfdcxgfd

GVB00(s) and V8.4 Video Lost

Hi,

I am trying to help (for free) a client of mine who bought this system a long time ago from another installer.

It is a custom made windows XP PC with the GV800(s) card installed 16 ch and 4 port audio previous software version was v5.2

I downloaded the official v8.4 software and installed it and all I get is just 16ch with 'video lost" on the screen.

The following I have tried:

1. Reinstall video drivers. (Using the Geovision tool and also manually removing them from C:/windows/system32/drivers)

2. Check cables and connectors to make sure they are properly connected.

3. Run the Geovision V8 detection tool to make sure the card will support it.

4. Install the Geovision Codecs (Although I know this will not solve the problem I just gave it a shot)

Any ideas? I have tried just about everything I can think of.....

*Edit*

I am not near the PC so I cannot tell for sure which version of the card it is but the previous driver installed for the system said it was for a GV800(s) so I am just going off of that. Also client stated that there is only one card installed in the PC if that helps any....

You mention it had Version 5.2 Main System installed previously?

If thats the case then its likely a very old card, like version 1.01-1.07

According to Geo's hardware software compatibility chart (download here) that card will only work for up to Main System Version 6.05. You would need a version 3.1 or higher card to work with 8.4

8.4 is not worth upgrading to IMO, it requires at least a quad core CPU and its missing the Geo MPEG4 codecs, only h.264 now, which adds to the higher CPU usage. Highest I would go is 8.33 at this time. In fact if you dont need all the mobile stuff 8.12 would suffice, it was Geo's best release as far as Im concerned, worked great with slower CPUs also.

Remember newer is not always better.

Agree with Rory except I would raise the bar to 8.2 which still may be problematic with whatever version board you 're using. It should work just fine with the V4. Anything above 8.2 will require the the V4A version.

Agree with Rory except I would raise the bar to 8.2 which still may be problematic with whatever version board you 're using. It should work just fine with the V4. Anything above 8.2 will require the the V4A version.

Going by the geo doc it says 3.10 will work for 7.04-8.4?

gv800hwswcompatibility.gif.1370317bdd0dcf024af075b5887f9819.gif

You mention it had Version 5.2 Main System installed previously?

If thats the case then its likely a very old card, like version 1.01-1.07

According to Geo's hardware software compatibility chart (download here) that card will only work for up to Main System Version 6.05. You would need a version 3.1 or higher card to work with 8.4

8.4 is not worth upgrading to IMO, it requires at least a quad core CPU and its missing the Geo MPEG4 codecs, only h.264 now, which adds to the higher CPU usage. Highest I would go is 8.33 at this time. In fact if you dont need all the mobile stuff 8.12 would suffice, it was Geo's best release as far as Im concerned, worked great with slower CPUs also.

Rory,

Thanks for your input. I was thinking of the same problem that it may be just an older version, but what threw me off was that when I ran the Geovision V8 Detection Tool it said it is compatible to upgrade to the new software....kinda odd.

We have used 8.4 on other systems previously and the only benefit in our situations is that the clients have the ability to view remotely from iPhone or Blackberry, which is the reason we are trying to upgrade my client over here.

I'll just open up his computer and check the version of the card the next time I am in his neck of the woods (about 3 hours away)

In fact if you dont need all the mobile stuff 8.12 would suffice, it was Geo's best release as far as Im concerned, worked great with slower CPUs also.

Agree newer is not better or faster. Only mean that 8.2 added some desireable features over 8.12 that you stated would suffice, NVR support most notably, and still runs more efficiently than 8.3.X.

It all boils down to the features the customer needs or wants.