zozoman

Looking for a good IP camera

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and I currently run a small business. I'd like to get a camera system in here asap. I am looking to find a system that would tie into the computers here. I'd preferably like to get an IP camera so I can log into it anywhere I am. I've been doing some research on IP cameras and most of the ones I've seen looked very bad. The images looked grainy and the fps seemed very low.

So, does anyone here know a good IP camera or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-Alonzo

most of the ones I've seen looked very bad. The images looked grainy and the fps seemed very low.

hi. what sort of budget are you looking at. if it is very low then yes you will find many bad ip webcam type.

ip can be budget to the 1000s

take a look here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20564

I noted that your motivation for wanting an IP camera is so that you can log into it from wherever you are!

This functionality is available on analog, ip, gsm camera systems. Is that the only reason for wanting an IP camera? and how many cameras are you looking at installing? --- if it's just one, IP should be ok!

most of the ones I've seen looked very bad. The images looked grainy and the fps seemed very low.

hi. what sort of budget are you looking at. if it is very low then yes you will find many bad ip webcam type.

ip can be budget to the 1000s

take a look here http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20564

I'm not gonna lie, my business partner doesn't want to invest a lot into a camera. We just want the camera to overlook a lighted hallway so we can see who is coming in / leaving. So I guess I am going to be stuck in the cheapo quality division.

I noted that your motivation for wanting an IP camera is so that you can log into it from wherever you are!

This functionality is available on analog, ip, gsm camera systems. Is that the only reason for wanting an IP camera? and how many cameras are you looking at installing? --- if it's just one, IP should be ok!

I picked IP camera because when I was researching some cameras it seemed that all other cameras required a tv, receiver, video cables, and etc. With the IP cameras it seems that the software is built right into the camera and all you need is a router and no extra equipment to make it work.

At most I would have 1-3 cameras in my office. However, we just want to start with 1.

So, do any of you know a good "cheapo" camera, haha.

Thanks for the input guys!

Where are you based, country and region? If it's outdoor watching over the door Foscam is a cheap and easy to install camera and the W18904F is wirefree also, it will be about £65. If it's indoor there are a larger choice oof cheapo cameras that will work well for you and give you a reasonable picture but not great. The Compro IP55 IP60 and IP70 are cheap but surprisingly good for the money all being under £100.

You can get control software to bring all cameras into a single application that is simple to learn and use. It's called Vitamin d and the good news is the single camera version is free and available for Windows and Macintosh. It's not the only one, but I haven't tried the others. When you add more cameras you pay an additional license fee.

One word of warning, spending a little on low cost surveillance equipment is probably a complete waste of money. I would rather have one good megapixel camera than a dozen trash cameras that I will look at and always be disappointed with.

On the other hand analogue DVR's nowadays can be viewed from mobile phones and you can record evidence quality and good quality aanalogue cameras are relatively cheap. (540TVL or above) It's your money your choice. Good luck

I'm not gonna lie, my business partner doesn't want to invest a lot into a camera. We just want the camera to overlook a lighted hallway so we can see who is coming in / leaving. So I guess I am going to be stuck in the cheapo quality division.

good little cheap 1.3mp camera with sound software to record/ send alerts wireless or wired.

http://www.aver.com/Surveillance/Product/Detail.aspx?id=227

You need the capability to observe who is coming in / leaving .

Are the people who enter normally known to you --- that is recognizable?

Or is the mere fact that someone is entering or leaving of significance?

Do you need to record who is coming in?

If you are displaying the video on a PC - is it the same PC you will run your normal day to day applications on or are you intending to provide a dedicated PC?

So once you notice someone entering or leaving --- what response does that solicit from you. Do you pay extra attention to who they are, do you check to see if they are carrying something out of the exit.

I would like to expand the statement a little:

Observe who is coming in or leaving --- you believe that is going to solve a problem? What is the problem that observing people entering or exiting is expected to solve?

If you are looking for an affordable solution yhen look at the following cameras and NVR solution.

QNAP NVR and for cameras then look at Messoa NDF821.

Great camera for the price but comes as static Ip address not DHCP makes the camera a pain to setup at first install.

Price is pretty good for entry level IP.