Sign in to follow this  
Operandi

Power for switches?

Ok, so I'm getting pretty close to the installation stage for my first IP camera system, first thing going in is the PoE switches of course.

The site is retail grocery store and the electricians will be coming in the next couple of days to wire up the locations for the four switches. How concerned should I be with the power here? Should they be on their own "clean" circuit or is it ok to share with the lights, refrigeration, fans ect.? I can of course install rack mountable power filters in each location, would that be sufficient to protect the switches and more importantly the cameras?

Depends on the customer, does he want to pay for the redundancy? If so there are many options including dedicated power, uninterpretable power etc.

Yeah, he's will to run dedicated lines if its necessary, there will be a lot of money put into the cameras running off these switches. For two of the switch location its relatively non-issue but the other two will take a bit more work to get a dedicated line to the switch location so it will be fairly expensive having the electrical work done.

Axis cameras mostly, software is in the final stages of selection. The goal is to have the software selected by the time the electrical is done. But what dose that have to do with the switches and power?

Edited by Guest

I've never had an issue running PoE switches off powerboards with other stuff plugged in. Separate power for the switches is unnecessary. If need be, toss a UPS somewhere close and run the switch power off that then plug the UPS into the powerboard in the cabinet.