fibrewire

Looking for cost effective hybrid platforms

Looking to build a hybrid system that has all the flexibility of GeoVision products on an open platform.

have a look at Netvision/ Linovision if your around the budget end of the market!

Oh, so this forum has life in it!

I have been dealing with Video Insight since 2004, and I believe it's time to change. Not specifically away from VI, but towards a more component based, open standards system. Linux is a big plus for me, and for those of you that have never had to pay cash for 1500 Windows XP licenses, no license = good license.

Right now I want to upgrade a 300 camera system spanning 4 properties, 2 of which are hotels.

Also, I've been asked to provide a privately funded city-wide surveillance system in tandem to the Northrop-Grumman provided Community Surveillance system infrastructure we have now.

I would (of course) like to see the most successful systems, then mirror the core components on the cheap. This being one of about 5 major projects being implemented over a city wide wireless network. Throughput anywhere on the network is 100MB full duplex, and switching fabric can handle 1GB throughput aggregate. The network belongs to me

Like most projects I work on, this will probably attract a great deal of attention from forum members, and there will be tons of new traffic to this site from all parts of the world. This really is a thankless job - and I think NetVision just might do the trick. I await some feedback, but I am anxious to order some test equipment!

Well, I would prefer an "open platform" as in open source a.k.a. free beer, but not at the cost of quality.

I've contacted other companies and they all want me to run the same load of web-based crap software demo - and it all seems to be broken, modified, and rebranded versions of this company's CCTV software.

http://www.onssi.com/

Realistically speaking, an open platform is one that can use the vast majority of inexpensive DVR cards and NVR systems available on eBay.

Coming from Standalone (GE Kalatel) to Geovision back to Standalone ...

check out the Dahua Products .....

They also have software for Enterprise Systems

Check out the PSS and more specifically the DSS manuals in the link in my sig for more info on them.

Well, I would prefer an "open platform" as in open source a.k.a. free beer, but not at the cost of quality.

NOTHING in this world is free.

I've contacted other companies and they all want me to run the same load of web-based crap software demo - and it all seems to be broken, modified, and rebranded versions of this company's CCTV software.

http://www.onssi.com/

You must not have tried very many... that's a rediculous statement.

Realistically speaking, an open platform is one that can use the vast majority of inexpensive DVR cards and NVR systems available on eBay.

Doesn't exist. "DVR cards" are propritary to the software and vice versa. "Ebay dvr cards and NVR systems"??? Lol! Good luck!

The cloest thing to what you think you need is the Linux freeware Zoneminder. What you need is a true enterprise solution. Avigilon, Genetec, Exacq, hell even Nuuo would be light years ahead.... Not some Mickey Mouse garbage pieced together off Ebay... Time is money. You're going to waste both on freeware and Chinese capture cards/ crap...

Rory how many Dahua containers did you and your friends import? Look at the size of this guy's project... That's one serious fibre backbone and you want to recommend Chinese standalone DVRs and CMS software for a 300 plus camera job??? Wow....

Rory how many Dahua containers did you and your friends import? Look at the size of this guy's project... That's one serious fibre backbone and you want to recommend Chinese standalone DVRs and CMS software for a 300 plus camera job??? Wow....

Actually DSS handles 1000 cameras now that you mention it, and we are using 32 channel DVRs special ordered, and the person I buy from here (I dont import them) has about 20x16 channels in stock, about 20x8 channels in stock, several 4x channels.

And thats a rather ridiculous statement about Chinese products since almost everything labelled MADE IN USA is made in China, not to mention the huge DEPT you guys have with China, you owe them more than you give them credit for.

And BTW I was answering his first post.

I would (of course) like to see the most successful systems, then mirror the core components on the cheap. This being one of about 5 major projects being implemented over a city wide wireless network. Throughput anywhere on the network is 100MB full duplex, and switching fabric can handle 1GB throughput aggregate. The network belongs to me

city wide network ?? will it only be you using it.

1900 - "Man can't have powered flight"

1950 - "Man can't go to the Moon"

1980 - "Personal computers will never threaten the mainframe market"

1990 - "Sub $100 PC? Ridiculous"

2000 - "Portable computers died with the Apple Newton"

You guy's have a seemingly dead-end attitude. And you wonder why more people don't buy your products.

As of this moment, I have about 2000 subscribers for free broadband internet access. They make free phone calls. All using equipment the big boys laughed at and walked away from. They are obsolete before they even got started. Is your CCTV solution the next horse-and-buggy?

---------------------------------------------------------

4ch NVR attached to carrier grade wireless, fixed base cameras for access control points & high traffic isolated areas like gates, intersections, etc.

16-32-64ch DVR 1U rack mounted servers for property deployment. Video distribution via Cat5 or 25-pair cable to balun/power access points, then distribute video using siamese rg59 cable.

On my existing system, I have everything dialed back to conserve bandwidth, also using multicast. 32 cameras @ full D1 consume ~ 5MBit of bandwidth at 5fps each camera, and we have had 100% conviction rate on video related incidents.

I guess I could have spent the same money on a 4ch HD video system with 4 PTZ cameras, but then YOU GUYS don't foot the bill on smash-n-grab, do ya?

--------------------------------------------------------

Contrary to the "nothing is free" comment, have you ever been on the receiving end of your business deals?

Nothing may be free, but whoever can do it the most economically - wins. Just ask Wal-Mart, and the millions of businesses that Wal-Mart ousted -just like yourself- who wish they never had the "nothing is free" attitude.

The magic will definitely be in the software that ties all this krap together.

Show me a DVR card that uses a different chipset than the Chinese cards, and I'll show you a rebranded chipset DSP with my logic analyzer

It's just the old analog software from Video-Insight - version 3.1.1.2 using their "Video-Insight MPEG-4"

8K frames ~ 5fps

Video-Insight.thumb.JPG.2982e5370f5066c53e5f96a96c44d210.JPG

You guy's have a seemingly dead-end attitude. And you wonder why more people don't buy your products.

not a dead end attitude at all its just best for us to understand what equipment you are using to control a full city.

i understand you wish to put cctv in some of your locations and control them from a monitoring station. but we need to know how you will get it down your existing network.

lets take an office in your city network. apart from the office own day to day usage of the network 100s pc. how do you intend to get the cctv system back to your monitoring station. i.e same network / microwave / fiber

were is this city.

Oh, so this forum has life in it!

I have been dealing with Video Insight since 2004, and I believe it's time to change. Not specifically away from VI, but towards a more component based, open standards system. Linux is a big plus for me, and for those of you that have never had to pay cash for 1500 Windows XP licenses, no license = good license.

Right now I want to upgrade a 300 camera system spanning 4 properties, 2 of which are hotels.

Also, I've been asked to provide a privately funded city-wide surveillance system in tandem to the Northrop-Grumman provided Community Surveillance system infrastructure we have now.

Like most projects I work on, this will probably attract a great deal of attention from forum members, and there will be tons of new traffic to this site from all parts of the world. This really is a thankless job - and I think NetVision just might do the trick. I await some feedback, but I am anxious to order some test equipment!

I thought you wanted a budget system LOL??

I don't know if Netvision is suitable for the scale of project -- but what attracted me to the netvision offering is that fact that when Hikvision needed software development, they turned to Netvision --- when Dahua started to develop DVR cards, in an effort to compete with Hikvision - they too also turned to Netvision.

The netvision system is stable it's cheap and while it's not going to perform miracles, it does work.

I did try the linovision offering a few years backs - also on the back of the linux option without license fees , but we where not impressed with it at that time---it has apparently improved since then.

The only drawback with netvision is that they only support the more well known DVR card manufacturers from China, they won't support what they consider the lower end manufacturers.

One route that we looked into was getting our developers to do some heavy modding on zoneminder, as that is a basic platform (open source) for the cheaper ebay type cards.

If one doesn't have access to their own developers - there are some really good people in the freelance scene that will make zoneminder do what you want it to do, in the way you need.

I've been communicating with NetVision, and... well... they seem interested in the idea of a scalable product on the cheap. Pretty openh-minded guys, actually. I nearly snipped my own nose off to spite my face :/