the lemming

Can I use a IP camera in my car?

Hello

This may be a silly question but is it possible to have a wireless camera placed in my car and then transmit the data back to my house?

The car will be no more than 20-30 meters away.

If this is not possible, what options do I have for a web cam in the car capturing footage outside the car?

I'm not after protecting the car, just capturing activity outside.

Cheers

Hello

This may be a silly question but is it possible to have a wireless camera placed in my car and then transmit the data back to my house?

The car will be no more than 20-30 meters away.

If this is not possible, what options do I have for a web cam in the car capturing footage outside the car?

I'm not after protecting the car, just capturing activity outside.

Cheers

20m yes that possable you may have problems with lighting.

axis do some good price wireless.

Sure, perfectly possible. As long as you keep the distance down, and make sure the wifi network you connect to is secure (use WPA!!), and is on a channel separate from other nearby routers, you should be good to go.

If you have a plug in hybrid car, then you could use a wired camera and Siamese a network cable on the power.

Just curious why not mount it on the house and get footage when your away?

“20m yes that possable you may have problems with lighting.”

I think TomCCTV is right. I have never seen a wireless camera that has good sensitivity at least in the few hundred dollar region. Looking out of a dark car to see someone with a light in the background is another killer. You might have something if you want a image only if someone is in the car and the dome light is on.

I have a cam for sell in the classifieds.... it's designed for mobile applications.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24459

You would need light with this cam.... but it has onboard sd card storeage. You could play the video back off the card... if you wanted wireles you'd need a gaming adapter or a ptp connection back to the house.

Forget doing a wireless IP camera, get an IP camera of your choice (suited to the project) *and* a wifi bridge device that runs on 12VDC (there are many available).

I'd probably look at one of the Ubiquiti Nanstation 2 devices. They are outdoor-rated directional wifi devices http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanostation-LOCO-Outdoor-802-11g/dp/B004EGI3CI

Plug your camera into the Nanostation and you now have a wifi camera. You can put the camera where it needs to be for the best image, and position the wifi device where it needs to be for best signal.

Also, if you want to power the camera off of PoE, check out the Air802 12vdc PoE injectors:

http://www.air802.com/dc-dc-converter-poe-injector-with-10-26vdc-input-48vdc-poe-output-din-rail-mount.html

That is a very good point Notorious - Wireless IP cameras are very limited in terms of selection. Buy an awesome IP camera, and connect it to your wifi network with a bridge.

Dont forget WPA!