lisar

Which budget IP camera for starters?

I found this forum while searching for more information on IP cameras and I hope someone can help me as I could not find a beginners guide topic.

Situation

I have a small office (40m2 = 430 square feet). I have a 60mbit down and 10mbit up connection and a dedicated server in a datacenter with an 100mbi up and down connection. Optionally I can install a motion detection lamp that can handle a max of 100w. I am looking for a basic indoor security option.

Struggle

I have tried installing a small linux box with zoneminder and other motion detection software that is connected to a webcam, but that does not seem the right solution for me, because the webcams don’t work as well and my linux knowledge is not that good to recode a program.

Budget

My budget is very limited and I would like to spend a max of 200 euro (280 USD = 175 GBP) on one IP camera or 2x100 euro to buy 2.

IP Camera

This is the hardest part for me. I find it very hard to compare cameras en to find good reviews. So far I have narrowed it down to a few IP cameras, purely looking at specs.

- Y-Cam YCK004 Knight S (195 euro) Has IR for night shots

- TP-LINK TL-SC3430 (120 euro) Seems to have the best specs with 1280x1024 resolution, but no IR

- TP-Link TL-SC3171 (100 euro) 640x480 with IR and I could get 2

There are power plugs in the ceiling and I have a decent 300mbp router, so alternatively I could get wifi option which makes the above camera’s 20 to 35 euro more expensive.

Question

I could find this topic about different megapixel cameras, but not one with budget cameras

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322

My question is:

What is a good indoor IP camera with software to view the camera online or from a phone, for about 100 euro to 200 euro (140-280 USD = 88-175 GBP)?

Am I looking at this correctly or would you advise a different solution, such as using regular webcams or camcorders with a linux or windows machine?

p.s. I was not sure if I am allowed to link to the webpage with specs of the IP cameras in my post, that is why I did not.

for your budget you can buy 2 avers. 1.3mp iphone/android/win-mobile. with recording software.

http://www.aver.com/Surveillance/Product/Detail.aspx?id=227

Thank you. Looking at the specs, it looks like most of the IP camera's in that price range. I cannot find any reviews, videos or image samples. Also I cannot find any online retailer in my country, not even Amazon that sells them. Is this a OEM brand?

What makes this IP camera a good choice?

hi. your budget.

link sent to your pm.

The video quality seems to be very good. Unfortunately I cannot find any (online) shop that sells them in my country or delivers them to my country.

This camera seems to be around 100GBP. If I hade 150 to 200GBP budget, what other brands + models would you recommend?

hi. your budget.

link sent to your pm.

The video quality seems to be very good. Unfortunately I cannot find any (online) shop that sells them in my country or delivers them to my country.

This camera seems to be around 100GBP. If I hade 150 to 200GBP budget, what other brands + models would you recommend?

were are you based ??

Am I looking at this correctly or would you advise a different solution, such as using regular webcams or camcorders with a linux or windows machine?

Zoneminder is a great program - but not if you aren't into linux

Once again ----- you are not wanting to watch everything going on in your office --- something has moved you to want to put a camera there --- what is that?

The majority of reputable brands are pretty much the same thing - decide first what is it that moved you to want to provide this camera -- once you have that, develop specs that will address that issue effectively.

Then set up supplier specs.

Reputable brand , warranty, local stock, support, backup .

Once you have your camera spec and your supplier spec....buy from the cheapest one that meets your requirements.

Zoneminder is a great program - but not if you aren't into linux

Once again ----- you are not wanting to watch everything going on in your office --- something has moved you to want to put a camera there --- what is that?

The majority of reputable brands are pretty much the same thing - decide first what is it that moved you to want to provide this camera -- once you have that, develop specs that will address that issue effectively.

Then set up supplier specs.

Reputable brand , warranty, local stock, support, backup .

Once you have your camera spec and your supplier spec....buy from the cheapest one that meets your requirements.

Thank you for your advice. I am not sure I understand your question. Nothing has moved, I just would like only something with motion detection so I do not wast bandwidth and HDD space.

I does indeed seems that most of the brands have very similar specs.

I am not sure I understand your question. Nothing has moved, I just would like only something with motion detection so I do not wast bandwidth and HDD space.

what is this camera supposed to be watching out for? and why?

I am not sure I understand your question. Nothing has moved, I just would like only something with motion detection so I do not wast bandwidth and HDD space.

what is this camera supposed to be watching out for? and why?

Primary reason:

I have been missing some minor supplies and I think it is someone from the building. Within our building there are about 12 small offices between 20m2 and 60m2 on each level. The building itself and each level have surveillance and alarms, but within the level everyone who has level access can basically enter any office and take anything, which the cameras do not focus on. So someone from my level has been taking supplies and I am not allowed to install my own door with lock, but can install a camera.

So someone from my level can enter my office after I have left and take anything they like. They things that keep missing are not that expensive, so I don't want to spend a lot on a camera. I just don't like the feeling that someone enters my office and takes stuff when I am not around.

Secondary reason:

A extra advantage is that when a external someone tries to brake-in. It will not prevent anything, but can help find the person who did it, if there is a video. Off course that person can wear a mask, but it is just an extra.

hi VCA would start to cost. some budget cameras will give sene changes or moved objects. like the link i sent you. plus it also has sound both ways. and email alert.

if its just your area that you need to protect then 1.3mp will be fine for you.

but getting it to your pc will give you a problem if your office has a full network inplace. you will need the help of your IT guys if you wish to view your camera away from the office or plug it into your company network to get passed the firewalls that could be in place.

hi VCA would start to cost. some budget cameras will give sene changes or moved objects. like the link i sent you. plus it also has sound both ways. and email alert.

if its just your area that you need to protect then 1.3mp will be fine for you.

but getting it to your pc will give you a problem if your office has a full network inplace. you will need the help of your IT guys if you wish to view your camera away from the office or plug it into your company network to get passed the firewalls that could be in place.

From what you are telling me --- get one of those usb devices that somebody has discussed here, and plug a cheap covert analog camera into that. Record it to your PC ----- you will very quickly see who is coming into your office and taking your stuff and it will cost you virtually nothing, in fact to achieve what you are trying to do --- you could probably do it effectively with a web cam!

Thanks. VCA was just my signature. I am learning new things, just by browsing and reading topics in this forum.

I think I am going for the camera tomcctv suggested.

A webcam requires a system to run 24/7 and so does a analog camera, plus I would need to buy a analog camera.

I will keep you updated and post some images/videos of my camera.

Where will that camera be recording to? Does it have SD capability for recording --- if you don't want anything running 24/7

There are 2 options.

1. Directly to a dedicated server using external FTP.

2. Recording to a USB attached to the router using local FTP, that uploads the files to the dedicated server once every x hours.

The cameras I was looking at before the suggestions here have both options.

Where will that camera be recording to? Does it have SD capability for recording --- if you don't want anything running 24/7

There are 2 options.

2. Recording to a USB attached to the router using local FTP, that uploads the files to the dedicated server once every x hours.

Ok, that's why not asking these questions in the beginning is a pointless exersize, as the server will need to run 24/7. Is that your company server? A server at Home?

There are 2 options.

Ok, that's why not asking these questions in the beginning is a pointless exersize, as the server will need to run 24/7. Is that your company server? A server at Home?

I have a dedicated server with 100/100 mbit connection. I have a homeserver with 120/10 mbit connection. I can also get a dropbox account and even can use a business server with a 1gbit up/down connection.

If you are doing basic surveillance., then you can get wireless IP cameras for about $50 US each here: [mod edit: store link removed - please read the rules]. You won't get 24 feet of night vision viewing with these cameras.

Use that camera with Security Monitor Pro on your PC for a complete 2 camera surveillance system for under $200 US. Security Monitor Pro has time based recording and alerting, and remote viewing, along with many other features that would be useful to keep an eye on your video.

More information on Security Monitor Pro is available here: [mod edit: store link removed - please read the rules]

Difficult scenario with the Pc ,etc --- because they don't want anything running 24/7