HumanRightsNGO

EyeSpy247Ext Problem for a person at risk

Hi there,

We are installing two EyeSpy247 External Camera's for a Human Rights Defender in London who's house has been ransacked a number of times because of his work at home - before he was run out of the country.

The cameras are supposed to be easy to install but even after spending sometime on the phone to the support people we think thats its probably too complicated for a bit of a technophobe to install at our end.

Is there anyone out there with experience of such installations?

Regards,

HRNGO

Can you get a refund? The Sanyo HD3300 is far better.

There is no way around the fact that it's a technical process. I'm sure funds are tight, so you might look for a free-lance installer on Craigslist.

Sounds like this is either in a bad neighborhood, or you've got some Nazis over there.

Strange... the way he pushes them, these cameras should require NO technical ability at all - just plug into the network and then view and record on their site. Or so he claims. Maybe it's not as simple as the advertising would have us believe?

In any case, I have no experience with these particular cameras, but I'll see what I can figure out for you... what sort of problem are you having with them?

Basically I think the issue might be that I'm not technically minded enough to do the port forwarding and DDNS necessary for it to work correctly. I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere.

Ideally I'd be looking for someone who would have a spare two hours and could do the installation properly.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone you could possibly recommend?

My understanding of these cameras is that there should be no port forwarding or DDNS setup required - I believe the whole idea is that they make outbound connections to the company's servers, and you can then access them and the recorded video via that. If they're behind a router that provides DHCP (like 99.9% of home broadband routers do right out-of-the-box, there should be no setup needed beyond creating an account on the service.

Yes that is true but unfortunuately it isn't working so easily for us.

Can anyone recommend someone out there who can help?

there are plenty of engineers in london area. i could put you intouch with.... but i dont think that this is your problem. the kit you have is a simple plug and play auto set-up. you could have a few problems IF. the camera has already been used or you have bought second hand. if the camera was used on another network and you try to connect to another it will not work without a master reset. the company offers a reset but only to the original buyer. (via cam ID given when first setup)

for the purpose you are using the camera i would say dont use it and dont buy the same brand. you sould never have any 3rd party (who you dont know) recording and watching your camera.

buy a ip camera that you have total control over.

Thanks, thats good advice.

Please put me in touch with someone you recommend.

Many regards.

HRNGO

hi. i dont think you understand. before you get some one in to look at your cam. first you have to tell us if it is locked or not.

did you buy it new ??? or second hand ??? have you had it working on a network before ??? have you moved it to another network ???

Apologies,

We have two new cameras and tested one of them on our network - where they worked before bringing it to the person at risk.

We have dont hard resets on them before bringing them to the new location and that seems to have done it's job ok.