fabiano

Help with capture plate

I am having some issues regarding the sun effects on the plate specifically with reflectiveness, look at the picture that i took from a camera that i use. The camera is a Samsung SCB-2000 with AutoIris Lens 6-60mm, before midday the ANPR works perfect after that the sun start to blur the image. Does anyone of you have any idea how to fix this issue. Distance from car: 5 meters, the camera is at 2.4 meters high, and the angle is 15

01_20110706134046.jpg.0f841c44496101e5205b1eb88cac618d.jpg

Noticed a lot of the pic is in shadow, do you have any way to set the exposure more on the plate area?

I wonder if it isn't just the way the light is hitting it and reflecting, if it is not an exposure problem. Here is an Axis P3344, car pulling in. I don't have a WDR on the front of the house, I wonder if that would solve this?

333275128_Picture1.png.7a42e4e329f98bf4151b337d69e1140e.png

1013180461_Picture2.png.1f149b62c9f87c5413fa482d247bb800.png

422123461_Picture2a.png.2dd1289b10a8d16dfa7e6d20a0d9b3c4.png

Typically, you should be using a specific camera for a specific purpose ...

Using an LPR camera for the job would be first prize. You could pick the camera's up for less than $800. This will have a much higher shutter speed than a conventional camera, therefore no blurry pictures - thats why LPR cameras are rated for certain speeds.

The second reason you'd use an LPR camera would be that the exposure wouldn't be relevant as your picture would be similar day or night (see below). The picture is incredibly dark and eliminates car headlights and glare flaring up and distorting the picture. The camera uses the integrated IR Illumination to reflect off the plate to allow the numbers to be a much higher contrast.

The reason why these Axis camera doesn't have WDR, is that it uses a CMOS sensor and not a CCD. This allows each pixel to be powered individually and not have to use power from other pixels around it, therefore it already does a similar job to WDR by cutting out glare.

CMOS sensors however, struggle under low light conditions compared to CCD's.

Have a look at the Bosch Reg-X cameras, they're relatively cheap and are purpose driven.

Replacing LPR cameras with Megapixel, do not serve the same purpose and is not the way forward.

Manufacturers provide us these products for their intended purpose, if you use the correct technology from the start, you shouldn't have any issues.

Like I mentioned before, if you want a better picture ... increase your shutter speed to get rid of the blurring and use a camera that eliminates glare. Also make sure the number plate makes up a larger portion of your captured image. If you want an overview camera, then use one to compliment the LPR camera.

Don't take shortcuts, you will eventually spend more time (time=money) on this project than you should have. You could allow yourself to spend more time on other projects rather than trying accommodate the wrong camera for the purpose.

Megapixels might work in some conditions, but have a look at your night footage and you'll see why it would be short sighted.

No offence to anyone involved, just trying to help

Le165MNightShotLPR-1.jpg

Megapixels might work in some conditions, but have a look at your night footage and you'll see why it would be short sighted.

your image posted is from a MP camera. and not from the bosh. if you use other companies images give them the credit for it. i recognised your image and its not a bosh. MP does do a good job on plate capture.

Have a look at the Bosch Reg-X cameras, they're relatively cheap and are purpose driven.

Replacing LPR cameras with Megapixel, do not serve the same purpose and is not the way forward.

we USED to use the RX but its still over priced and is very limited.

I'm well aware of the Lumenera LE165 product but wanted to simply state a point on how LPR should look.

Please post a picture of your night time footage to disprove my point, furthermore, please could you you post a picture of a vehicle at 50mph with your Axis camera. My emphasis was not on a brand (that was a suggestion).

The dealer price on a REG-X camera should be approx $550.

You're welcome to argue the point but the amount of money you spend on storage recording at MP resolution, far outweighs the price of the correct camera and recording at 4 CIF.

Perhaps manufacturers should stop making these cameras, as it is apparent 1/4" CMOS sensors can capture pictures at night without frame loss.

Remember, I suggested using the camera, not the REG Sentry hardware or software.

Please accept constructive criticism where necessary, the camera you suggested is not the right one for the application, which you'll notice at speed or at night.

The dealer price on a REG-X camera should be approx $550.

More than that, but still much cheaper than the other Reg cameras. Ive used the REG-L before and it worked, have you used the REG-X and if so, how does it compare to the REG-L?

Furthermore, the LE165 uses a 2/3"CCD ...a 2/3" sensor is huge for the industry, also a CCD under low light far out performs a CMOS sensor as it can use light from pixels around it.

Lastly, it uses WDR to filter the glare ...

MP is a resolution, not a solution for every application in CCTV ...

Your Axis camera, recording at 1.3MP, 15fps using H.264 over 30 days should use approximatly 520GB of storage, conversely, an LPR cam at 4CIF and the same frame rate and perion would use 9.8GB ... Multiply that over several cameras and you will see how your storage would nullify the initial cost of the correct camera.

only making the point that the image you posted was from a 1.4mp camera with IR. so they do work.

the small reg-x is showing between $900-$1400 and its only got a 7m view. the LE165 has upto a 50m view. at night with IR and 100m in day light.

Hi Rory,

I distribute quite a few of the Brands in EMEA, Bosch being one of them ... The price I supply dealers/integrators would be $550. Prices you might see on the internet would be retail ...

Attached you will find a datasheet for the applications of the different models.

The main differences being the speed a vehicle can pass through and the distance of the object from the camera.

Hi Tom,

I agree that MP could be used in some applications ... for all we know, that first image I posted could be of a stationary car ... I only grabbed it off Google to illustrate my point.

The Le165 could do whatever distance you wanted according to the Lens you'd use, but a 2/3" Lens would be very expensive ... most MP also use CMOS sensors and not CCD.

However, this camera would still suffer under speed.

I would use a MP to compliment a LPR camera, for the overview of a scene.

However, this camera would still suffer under speed.

its an award winning ANPR camera. sold under many names i.e DM / ADvent

Not at all ... I stock these cameras.

They're specifically low light cameras with WDR and an IR cut filter.

The shutter speed is nowhere quick enough (despite claims of ANPR at 90mph+ on other websites).

Any awards were for Low light.

No one in their right mind would use 15fps at high speeds either ... as your object could pass through your Field of View before you even get a frame.

Please find the search results from their website below, for LPR & ANPR

http://www.lumenera.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=%2Fwww.lumenera.com%2Fdefault%2Fconf%2Fdefault&restrict=&exclude=&words=lpr

http://www.lumenera.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=%2Fwww.lumenera.com%2Fdefault%2Fconf%2Fdefault&restrict=&exclude=&words=anpr

Perhaps you were thinking of the Le256, which is still not for ANPR.

Anyone used the Samsung HLC feature to try and capture plates at least where there is enough light?

Similar to the CNB eclipse feature which I didnt have great luck with in testing.

hlc.jpg.bdef64fb90ab0e935e86f746ba84fe34.jpg