tesc_cctvpro

How widespread is the implimentation of thermal imaging

One of our integrator partners specialize in the Gated Residential Security Complex field and has been investigating the use of thermal imaging cameras! While FLIR is the market leader - last time I checked, there are a few others that present options as well - such as Dali Technology in China.

Anybody have any experience with Thermal Imaging - outside of the miltary and navy, and we also used them a lot in the emergency services? Any ideas of the practical and functional application in perimeter monitor at ranges of 300 or more meters? and does anybody have an idea of current market penetration for the technology?

Thanks in advance

Yes, much of this may seem old hat to many on the forum, however our research has indicated about a 2 year lag in our market vs the USA between mainstream adoption of technologies and solutions.

We continuously try to gauge the state of market penetration in the USA and other markets in order to assess potential barriers to adoption in our own ---- there is no money or reliability to be gained by early adoption in the field of technology.

We have ONE customer using FLIR cameras feeding a standalone video analytics system to monitor a two-square-block industrial yard from a central tower. The analytics system alerts a monitoring station who can then remote into a DVR and control a Pelco Esprit PTZ on the same tower, to check on activity in the yard.

It's a pricey solution, though - if memory serves, the cameras alone ran nearly $60,000 *our cost*... and that's before the cost of putting up a 50' tower, the Esprit, and the analytics.

Was still cheaper than a competitor's suggestion to have something like 26 cameras along the perimeter of the fence itself...

we also used them a lot in the emergency services

is this not something you can work out yourself .... you have used them alot.

i use thermal. but to be honest with you .... i dont want to list makes or installs with you as it will turn into ANOTHER 15 page thread that we have been doing wrong and and we cant do this or that. and also i dont want my ideas turned into your to be posted on another forum.

We have always found the Flir cost level prohibitive in most of the potential applications, there are alternative vendors that we have identified though with between 20 and 25% cost advantage for the applications - yet that has still been a significant barrier to deployment in most cases.

we also used them a lot in the emergency services

is this not something you can work out yourself .... you have used them alot.

i use thermal. but to be honest with you .... i dont want to list makes or installs with you as it will turn into ANOTHER 15 page thread that we have been doing wrong and and we cant do this or that. and also i dont want my ideas turned into your to be posted on another forum.

LOL --- Tom, using thermal imagers to detect hot spots in interior walls and potential breech on hazardous materials tanks - is a world away from using thermal imaging for residential surveillance!