EarlT

NVR Software long term cost Avigilon, Exacq

I am still trying to decide what makes the most sense for a home based camera setup. Being a gadget nut, I am driven to have quality stuff and don't mind paying a bit more for it. But there is a part of me that wants to be done and not have ongoing costs, beyond replacing cameras a few years down the road as they fail. Are any of the quality software based NVR systems a buy once and never pay for upgrades?

Avigilon does not have any yearly fees

So if Avigilon does not charge yearly maintenance then what about software updates. Will they likely always be free?

Good to know. Also curious how often Avigilon and Exacq provide software updates.

Good to know. Also curious how often Avigilon and Exacq provide software updates.

I'm not a fan of exacq software updates. I had to *know* that there was an update, then in order to get the server update, I had to email thewireguys and ask him to send me the executable file so I could update my server.

I think exacq needs to make this automatic, where my server can connect to the exacq software update server, check my license key, and download any updates.

I am not sure how Avigilon handles this, but I dont think it could be any worse than Exacq.

That said, I do really like exacq.

How about when you decide to build a new server for the software. I know Exacq is tied to a MAC address, and there are workarounds for that. Is Avigilon easier to move, or are you required to contact service to do so?