alpine0000

Is the iOS app out for Avigilon Control Center yet?

...and will be required to be on a separate server so it can have all the resources it needs.

Eek. I guess that counts me out, as I am just a home-user, and don't want two Dell servers running in my house. One is enough for me

I will still wait and see what transpires over the next month with it, but I won't get my hopes up. Looks like I may be staying with Exacq afterall.

You can bet lots of people will try running both on the same box. Given enough horsepower, it may work for a few cameras. I know I'll try it.

Lets just hope the gateway can run on minimal hardware, so home users can re-task an old box if it must be separate.

Everything's always licensed, even the amount of workstations. Doesn't mean you can't install the software on 100 iphones, just means only 1 or 2 or however many seats you have can connect to the server and pull video or do whatever it does at the same time. Buying a license for the server instead of software for every machine is cheaper every time...

yea, for sure. im just worried that maybe the software is setup so that it wont LET you install and license it on the same machine, forcing you to use two seperate machines. that would be a disappointment if it wasnt physically possible to use the same machine because of the way they set up the licensing.

We requested pricing, our rep hasn't seen any pricing at all on it but hopes to have it in the next few weeks. We have a customer in mind that would definitely go for this and hopefully we could have it on site and installed as soon as everything is available. Customer already has his guards carry around ipad's and they're all connected to a campus wide wifi network.

The machine thing I'm not worried about. Worst case scenario, we install it on one of the cctv workstations that's up 24/7 regardless.

Coming at this from a different angle, if a Gateway server can handle multiple ACC servers over the internet, then it might be possible to create an internet hosting service for ACC iPhone/iPad viewing. This assumes that the Gateway can associate unique user names and passwords for each ACC server.

Of course, there's always the backup plan of third party apps. I have not yet connected the IP Camera Viewer to an Avigilon, but it works well for a Panasonic. This is a reasonable solution for real-time viewing. It does not support viewing of recorded video, but the Exacq implementation of that feature is not particularlry useful either.

Best,

Christopher

Yea, for a business, another machine usually isnt that big of a deal. But for a small setup as a home user, its not that appealing, esp compared to exacq's more simple solution. Although, I dont argue how amazing Avigilon's ACC is.

I wish I wasnt so dependant on an iOS app, but unfortunately that is one of the things I use most. I am a govt contractor, and regularly do IT work on Army bases around the county (and around the world), where the installation of a VMS client isnt allowed on my work station, as well as most websites being blocked (including my home IP, so I cant even use the web interface for exacq), nor am I allowed to plug my personal laptop into their network (for obvious reasons), so really my only option at that point is the app on my iphone to check things out. It's also nice being able to login real quick from my phone while driving home from work to see if my girlfriend is home yet

It's not so much a neccessity when I'm in town and come home every night, but it's really nice to have when I'm on travel for a week or more at a time! I travel a lot for work A lot of "extended" travel too.

I have been testing the Ipad app and it works well for a V1.0. You can see live and recorded video and you can zoom into the images. Impressive to see the 16MP camera on the iPad and zoom into the image to get full detail.

Also keep in mind all of you talking about the price. Avigilon is pay once Exacq and everyone else is pay every year.

Avigilon is pay once Exacq and everyone else is pay every year.

Sort of......Exacq is kind of optional. If what you have works then then there is no need to pay annually, however, if you want to continue receiving updates then yes you need to pay annually.

I like Avigilon but for the few schools I've done they wanted the NVR to be accessible by all platforms being used in the school. Exacq fit that bill. It is not the best out there but it runs lite and has worked for us fairly flawlessy. I wish a few things would improve but they are always making new updates every 2 to 3 months.

Avigilon is pay once Exacq and everyone else is pay every year.

Sort of......Exacq is kind of optional. If what you have works then then there is no need to pay annually, however, if you want to continue receiving updates then yes you need to pay annually.

I like Avigilon but for the few schools I've done they wanted the NVR to be accessible by all platforms being used in the school. Exacq fit that bill. It is not the best out there but it runs lite and has worked for us fairly flawlessy. I wish a few things would improve but they are always making new updates every 2 to 3 months.

Exacq will not shut down if you don't pay but you will have to pay at some point. I really like Exacq but they have some things that must be fixed before I start pushing it again.

Exacq will not shut down if you don't pay but you will have to pay at some point.

Meaning, you have to catch up on the back payments if you decide to renew support again.

Now that Avigilon has a iOS gateway, with modest effort, they should be able to support any vanilla browser if they wanted to.

Best,

Christopher

Exacq will not shut down if you don't pay but you will have to pay at some point.

Meaning, you have to catch up on the back payments if you decide to renew support again.

And if you want to add a new camera that is not on the supported list and you are not currently paying for support.

Say you have 20 cameras and you haven't paid for support for 2 years. Arecont releases a new 50 MP camera and you want to add it to the new system but it's not on your supported list when you bought the system. You will have to pay 2 years of the support for 20 cameras + the new license fee to add one camera.

Requirements are a Quad Core XEON 2.0GHZ system? Holy crap this thing needs some horses to operate.

I diverted off the main subject I know. I admit Avigilon is a nice VMS but I do like the simplicity and light weight of Exacq.

Those specs are probably for a fully loaded system. I bet anyone with a dozen cameras or less can put it all on one system. I plan to.

Say you have 20 cameras and you haven't paid for support for 2 years. Arecont releases a new 50 MP camera and you want to add it to the new system but it's not on your supported list when you bought the system. You will have to pay 2 years of the support for 20 cameras + the new license fee to add one camera.

Wow. I learned something new...

I didn't realize that you had to catch up on any missed back payments. I suppose that's smart of Exacq to do, to avoid people from doing the "update-my-software-every-other-year" trick

Requirements are a Quad Core XEON 2.0GHZ system? Holy crap this thing needs some horses to operate.

I diverted off the main subject I know. I admit Avigilon is a nice VMS but I do like the simplicity and light weight of Exacq.

Avigilon needs less CPU then Exacq

Avigilon needs less CPU then Exacq

So then using a laptop with an Intel Atom processor would be ok (or even overkill?) for an Avigilon server? Or are you only talking about the clients?