suemccartin

How do you know a noisey camera? (sorry if posted before)

Hello, if this has been answered before I couldn't find it. Just what is the definition of "noisey" with a cctv camera. I'm having problems with motion detection not appearing to work properly and I'm told noisey cameras can have issues with motion detection working properly. It's not an expensive camera by any stretch but I did make sure to select one with a name brand sensor (sharp in this case). The image seems quite sharp day and night but in my quest to figure out the motion detector problem I'm investigating all the angles. I call noisey white dots all over the image, I understand heat and cold can also create issues, I assume cheap cables may also contribute. Can someone post a photo or direct me to a url with examples of a noisey camera?

Also, can i have some recommendations for a budget outdoor day/night camera. There are tons on ebay but I don't know which are good but I do know I should look for interchangeable lenses and good range on the IR. The cheapie camera I have has great images, if I could only figure out the motion detection issue it would be perfect.

Hello, if this has been answered before I couldn't find it. Just what is the definition of "noisey" with a cctv camera. I'm having problems with motion detection not appearing to work properly and I'm told noisey cameras can have issues with motion detection working properly. It's not an expensive camera by any stretch but I did make sure to select one with a name brand sensor (sharp in this case). The image seems quite sharp day and night but in my quest to figure out the motion detector problem I'm investigating all the angles. I call noisey white dots all over the image, I understand heat and cold can also create issues, I assume cheap cables may also contribute. Can someone post a photo or direct me to a url with examples of a noisey camera?

Also, can i have some recommendations for a budget outdoor day/night camera. There are tons on ebay but I don't know which are good but I do know I should look for interchangeable lenses and good range on the IR. The cheapie camera I have has great images, if I could only figure out the motion detection issue it would be perfect.

I believe your impression of the word 'noisey' in this case is correct. The video signal would show some form of degradation in my opinion if you are having issues with interference / noise. I'm no expert but just my 2 cents.

the most common issue with noise will occur at night time when you have a very dark picture and your picture is not as clear and crisp as it is in the day time, and sometimes it will have a "fuzzy" appearance. This is probably one of the biggest issues of false motion detection triggers. If this is happening mostly at night time, the best and most obvious solution would be to add more light. If you are getting false triggers at day, it could be leaves, trees, wind blowing your camera, etc. If you are getting false triggers for no reason, lower your motion sensitivity.

noise, lots of it, color and wont switch to BW ..

BTW its the CNB Monalisa ... camera has way too much noise at night ..

noise1.jpg.0bba2763324dd679925d34daa589bcf1.jpg

Thanks for the picture, no my camera doesn't look like that and no noisey white dots all over everywhere either.

Image seems about as "crisp" day or night, it's certainly NOT the quality of a thousand dollar camera but quite adequate. I'm thinking it's bugs flying in front of the camera. This is summer in florida, insect capitol of the east coast US and if they're close enough to the camera you won't even be able to see them, I believe a number of bugs can see the infrared/ultraviolet (why bug zappers work) so it's probably the IR emitter attracting them.

I'm pretty sure motion detection is working because I can set my dvr up to pop up a message and/or beep at detection, so far the most I've seen are bugs and the occasional passing car or dog walker at the curb..legitimate motion but mostly blank footage with no nothing apparently moving in it.

Any recommendations for cheap cameras that work good, lots on ebay for under 50 bucks, unfortunately that's about my budget these days, are any of them any good?

Bugs will do it. Try spraying around it with some bug spray, may keep them off it at least until it rains. Good for at least spiders.