Sign in to follow this  
liveinxs

Stripping Cat5e Cable

i am replacing all of the cheap eBay Siamese cables with Cat5e, the required parts should be here Monday, now i have a question, is there any special method that i have use to strip the insulation off of the Cat5e wires, should i leave the power wires twisted right up till they where they go into the Balun...

how much of the wires should be exposed from the wiring jacket...

i know this sounds like it should be basic knowledge, believe me i am not new to wiring, when we build our first home, i wired the whole house, and pasted inspection first time out, but this CCTV thing is new, and i want to make sure i don't have any power issues..

i plan on using two sets for power, one set for video and one set for rs485/data...

i will be using a 12v wall panel, and none of the runs will be more then 60 feet..

thanks...

Id just run a separate 18awg power cable as its so cheap anyway.

If you ever upgrade to [powerful] IR cameras you will be glad you did.

Id just run a separate 18awg power cable as its so cheap anyway.

If you ever upgrade to [powerful] IR cameras you will be glad you did.

well i have already decided to use separate IR, presently i am using two MIR1000, and for those, i installed separate outlet boxes..

and the cameras i will be using , VCM-24VFs only require 12v@180mA

should i be ok, just using two pair for power

I use my fingernails but there are strippers especially for CATx cable.

Because of the very small diameter of the conductors, you have to be very careful not to "nick" them or they will break at the most inopportune times.

I use my fingernails but there are strippers especially for CATx cable.

Because of the very small diameter of the conductors, you have to be very careful not to "nick" them or they will break at the most inopportune times.

yes i have done that in the past, when i ran some phone lines...just used my fingernails...

The only time you have to worry about keeping wires twisted up to the point of termination is when your passing data - so you RS485 lines should be twisted most of the way. Its not that big of a deal though - you could have many meters untwisted and it would still work... Its a bit different when passing 100 or even 1000megabit ethernet.

I use two pairs for power - to minimize voltage loss, although a lot of the cnb cams have low draw... I think my code was orange = positive, green = negative. Of course that's if your using DC, with AC the cameras don't care - because there is no +/-.

The only time you have to worry about keeping wires twisted up to the point of termination is when your passing data - so you RS485 lines should be twisted most of the way. Its not that big of a deal though - you could have many meters untwisted and it would still work... Its a bit different when passing 100 or even 1000megabit ethernet.

I use two pairs for power - to minimize voltage loss, although a lot of the cnb cams have low draw... I think my code was orange = positive, green = negative. Of course that's if your using DC, with AC the cameras don't care - because there is no +/-.

thats the way i had planned on doing the install, keeping those wires twisted right up to the connector...

my plan was to use one pair for + , and one pair for -....

Crimping rj45 connectors with your teeth... That's what I thought at first!

Yea, one pair for +, one for - is a good way to go. Then one pair for video, and another for data (or as a backup pair).

The weakness of the conductors is a little frightening to me, although they are copper, so they can be bent around a lot. Fingers is the way to go for me - buying a tool to do that seems silly!

Crimping rj45 connectors with your teeth... That's what I thought at first!

Yea, one pair for +, one for - is a good way to go. Then one pair for video, and another for data (or as a backup pair).

The weakness of the conductors is a little frightening to me, although they are copper, so they can be bent around a lot. Fingers is the way to go for me - buying a tool to do that seems silly!

They don't need to have much in the way of gauge to carry data and power. And if I were to crimp rj45's with me teeth, I'd hope to have teeth like Jaws from Bond (not the shark)