samlopez1

Need Help...3/4 channels scrambled..

I was planning to install 4 cameras along with a DVR and recently got my equipment..

The way I was planning to install is was to have each of the cameras connected to an RJ45 balun and run it directly to a powered passive receiver that at the same time provides power to the cameras...at that point rather than connect it directly to the DVR, output the powered passive receiver thru a single CAT 5 cable all the way to my monitoring location in which connects to an active receiver splitting then to the DVR..

The problem that I am having is that only one of the channels appears to work correctly (channel 3) and the remaining 3 are scrambled...

Any theories of what might be happening? Im new to this and probably Im doing something wrong...

I have attached a quick diagram of what I am intending to do.... will appreciate any help...

Sam

2144561866_vpscopy.jpg.44d9bc32f120d65de0255c25e3834c13.jpg

Define "scrambled". Screenshots would help.

I would hazard a guess that the Cat5 is not terminated properly. Are you using pre-made cable or using proper T-568A or B wiring?

Here is a screenshot of what I am referring to scrambled (photo 1)

I dont beleive it has to do with the cable.. when I switch the same cable to a different port of the VPS (Powered Passive Receiver) it gets scrambled only the camera that I connect to the 3rd port shows properly on screen....

On Photo 2 you can see the back of the VPS... the light blue cable is on channel #3, the gray cable is on channel #4 and the dark blue cable is the output cat5 that goes to the active receiver (photo 3) that then goes to the DVR (photo 4)

Thanks for your help!!!

Sam

photo1.JPG.12b3937b9ac1a0aeabe62d6f259d18ab.JPG

photo2.JPG.98a7854ef0d654e53760a47c08db14e5.JPG

photo3.JPG.789373de22b9324158b89a38fb992530.JPG

That picture looks to me like what happens if you connect one balun "backward" - ie. if you connect the "+" terminal at one end to the "-" terminal at the other, and vice-versa.

That's why I'm thinking it's an issue in the interconnect between the passive receiver and the VPS. Ethernet cabling doesn't just connect pins in a row - pair 1 is pins 4 and 5; pair 2 is pins 3 and 6; pair 3 is pins 1 and 2; and pair 4 is pins 7 and 8. Like so:

161179_1.jpg

If you're wiring pairs straight through (pin 1/2, pin 3/4, pin 5/6, pin 7/8) you could end up with crosstalk between cameras (since the negative from one camera will be intertwined with the positive of another, and so on). If you're putting your own ends on this run, you also want to be sure not to switch pins on a pair (ie. white/color on one end, color/white on the other).

I will check. The only thing that i dont understand is why if i connect the same balum / cable/ camera on channel number 3 of the vps work. And if i use any of the other channels it comes up scrambled...

I noticed that on the transreceiver. The one closer to the dvr, the channel number does not match with the channel number on the vps.

I will check back the cabling and will get back,,,

Thanks

Sam

I will check. The only thing that i dont understand is why if i connect the same balum / cable/ camera on channel number 3 of the vps work. And if i use any of the other channels it comes up scrambled...

If my theory is correct, this would make sense, because the problem isn't in the individual camera connections, but the interconnect that's carrying all four cameras.

For example, pair 1 would probably be carrying camera 1 between VPS and receiver; pair 2 would have camera 2, and so on. If pairs 1, 2 and 4 are wired incorrectly, and only pair three is correct, that would explain why only 3 is clear no matter which wire you plug into that channel on the other side of the VPS.

Hello.. Just a quick update...

I made new cables and tested them this time around with only one camera.. and used new baluns

Unfortunately, I have the same results.. on Ch 3 great picture.. on the other channels. scrambled....

I tend to believe that probably I have the wrong equipment....

On the end closer to the cameras I have the Passive VPS (photo 1) which provides power to the cameras and collects all (up to 8) cameras data and sends them to the active trans-receiver which takes the data and split it to the DVR (photo 2)

Would that be my problem?

photo2.JPG.c7d446f184b67e455b761dfa57e934e7.JPG

photo1.JPG.f20c5efcd88126489925826a9aeacd4f.JPG

Only other thing I can think of is that the two devices aren't using the same pins for the same camera lines and thus aren't compatible, since there is no standard for running analog video over UTP... are they the same brand?

Hmmm.... I dunno then, the only thing I got left is that one of the units is faulty... or one is just mis-configured.

how far will your cameras be from the DVR once installed. you may be better just using the baluns that you have on each camera and having the VPS at your DVR.

I had a similar problem on a tn series dvr.(no balon though) I had cameras installed directly to metal, which caused interference. Something worth looking at.