cupboy

Cable types for video cameras

I've been using regular video cables with RCA connectors, but is it possible to use coaxial cable instead? My house is pre-wired with coaxial cable so this would be an easy way to obtain the video from my surveillance cameras. Due to some vandalism in the back yard I need to setup a camera to cover that area now which will require a long cable run of some kind, or a 2nd DVR that I don't want to buy right now. Too many other bills.

how about a bnc end and a bnc to rca end or coax rca the round about way.just use a rg59 rca coaxial cable connector

I think the OP is asking if typical RG6 (CATV) coax can be used to transmit camera signals.

Answer is: Yes. You will need a crimp tool and/or adaptors to install the correct ends on the RG6.

Yes, but if it has any aluminum in it whatsoever, it won't be perfect.

I say, cat5e w/video baluns all the way baby!!!

Cheaper, easier to pull, lighter, easier to connect, can run video+power+audio/data all in one.

Existing CATV cable may also be RG58... which will also work (probably), although it will be a lot harder to find BNC connectors for - you may have to use RG58 F-connectors and F-to-BNC adapters.

BTW, your RCA video cables most likely are coaxial as well - coaxial just means it has a single center conductor and a surrounding outer conductor (co-axial = one shared axis)