jray3369

camera has better color thru window?

i have a problem with my coms cams, when i view thru our energy efficent windows the picture is great but as soon as i put them out side or just open the window the color is washed out and looks b/w. Any solution, thought about window tint ont he lens as it may be a UV thing?

Cheap cams by the way but do able for my situation.

thanks

My guess would be that the window has a UV-blocking coating that's causing this effect. It's probably acting similar to a "haze filter" for a still camera.

It's the infrared coating that causes this difference. Energy efficient windows are coated to block IR. The camera is sensitive to IR but the IR response shows as different colors. If you can put an IR filter in front of the camera, the colors will improve.

Ah, Gator, good catch! You're right, of course: cheap IR color cameras don't have the standard IR cut filter that color cameras normally need for proper color reproduction, so an IR-blocking window is just like adding that filter in.

My guess would be that the window has a UV-blocking coating that's causing this effect. It's probably acting similar to a "" for a still camera.

it is the tint that is saving your butt here... the uv film will bring the brightness and glare down...