Sign in to follow this  
Kentakka

SDE-120 DVR network issues and errors

Ok, I recently bought a Samsung SDE-3000 security system. It also came with a SDE-120 4chan DVR.

I've got some of the network fixed up so I can view it online, but it does come with an error.

Here is the system I've bought: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SDE-3000-channel-Surveillance-System/dp/B004CW9KEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311993273&sr=8-1

Ok, I can log onto the cameras from internet explorer. When I load them, I first get this "CreateDDSSecondary Error" that pops up twice. It'll go through the "internet explorer has stopped working" thing where it's checking for a solution. I click the Close Program button after it's done, but it doesn't close Internet Explorer. It'll actually load the cameras after I click the Close Program button.

Anyway to get rid of this error?

I think Samsung has told me it has to do with the IMM4 codec, and try tried updating it once before when I used Windows Vista. It still caused the error after they remotely updated it for me.

I'm now using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition.

I just installed Windows 7 this morning.

Now, another problem I'm trying to fix is, I goto System and System Management to do the Firmware Update, and I click the NETWORK button to see if it'll check for an update. I click the Check button, but it fails to check.

I'm using a Network Everywhere 5-port hub. Not a router, but a hub.

I've got the RTSP Service Port and the Web Server Port forwarded on my AT&T DSL setup page under the NAT config page. That's how I got those ports forwarded so I could view the cameras on my networked pcs as well as using the websamsung.net url to view it on my phone or another non-networked pc.

The problem is, the firmware update won't work though. Any idea why not and how to fix it so it does?

Now, one other problem I'm having. I saved a 5 second or so clip on my USB Flash Driver. It put the archived video footage clip as well as a Setup file(which is the IMM4) codec. The IMM4 codec is version 4.0.0.2

Now, when I first installed Windows 7, the archived video footage actually worked. It never worked on Vista. Well, this morning when I first installed Windows 7, the footage worked. Well, now I've done all the Windows Update thing from Microsoft, and now the video footage is not working.

I'm using Windows Media Player 12.

So, I'd like to get rid of this CreateDDSSecondary Error.

I'd like to be able to get this Firmware Update option working.

And last, but certainly not least, I'd like to be able to get this fixed so I can view this archived video footage on my computer.

If anyone has any advice on how to go about fixing this, I'd great appreciate it. If need be, I'd gladly talk to anyone through a messaging system(like yahoo, aim, msn). But if not, this forum is the way to do it I guess.

Any replies and suggestions on how to fix it is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and any help offered.

Now, one other problem I'm having. I saved a 5 second or so clip on my USB Flash Driver. It put the archived video footage clip as well as a Setup file(which is the IMM4) codec. The IMM4 codec is version 4.0.0.2

Now, when I first installed Windows 7, the archived video footage actually worked. It never worked on Vista. Well, this morning when I first installed Windows 7, the footage worked. Well, now I've done all the Windows Update thing from Microsoft, and now the video footage is not working.

I'm using Windows Media Player 12.

Ok, so I got this part fixed. After more trial and error, I found that the DIVX setup installed caused it to not play the footage anymore. I'm guessing it was part of the codecs from DIVX that was interfering.

This is ActiveX inside IE right? Have you tried Compatibility view?

Also check the activeX security settings in IE.

Here is an IE8 how to PDF for Compatibility view for another DVR brand, but same should apply:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9e96o4w5iew6yss

And an example of the IE settings also for another DVR brand, but should be the same:

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?f1xwkaty9pocg2i

This is ActiveX inside IE right? Have you tried Compatibility view?

Also check the activeX security settings in IE.

Here is an IE8 how to PDF for Compatibility view for another DVR brand, but same should apply:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9e96o4w5iew6yss

And an example of the IE settings also for another DVR brand, but should be the same:

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?f1xwkaty9pocg2i

Just tried both of these. Followed them to the letter.

Still getting the CreateDDSSecondary Error.

I am running Internet Explorer 9 though instead of IE8, but I still followed the compatibility view PDF file.

Alot of DVR's ActiveX doesnt work with IE9 yet.

Ah ok.

Any idea what could be causing the problem with me trying to do the Firmware Update on the DVR?

Ah ok.

Any idea what could be causing the problem with me trying to do the Firmware Update on the DVR?

Are you using a USB flash drive, and if so is it formatted as FAT/32 and not NTFS?

You absolutely need to update the firmware if there is one and if that update addresses IE9. In my experience, IE9 in compatability mode does not work at all. I have the same issue with my qsee 408, only there is an update for IE9. Since both computers I'm working with are IE8, I haven't bothered to update yet- not fixing what ain't broke. If your firmware update does not address IE9, you may want to see if it's compatable with google chrome or firefox. IE isn't the only game in town. As far as trying to update, DO NOT have one single other file on the usb stick. Only the firmware update and make sure it's not a folder, but just the update file itself. I've read that an update can take as long as 10 minutes for the drv to process, so be patient and don't touch a thing. Otherwise you could perminanty hoes the dvr. Good luck.

Dan

Ah ok.

Are you using a USB flash drive, and if so is it formatted as FAT/32 and not NTFS?

Well, I don't have the firmware update on my USB Flash Drive. It has two ways to update the firmware. Network(which is because the DVR is hooked up to my 5-port HUB that allows it to use the internet so the video feed can be watched online.

The other way is through USB. I don't know where exactly to get the firmware update to put on my USB flash drive.

I was wanting to update it through the NETWORK button, but it keeps failing to connect.

You absolutely need to update the firmware if there is one and if that update addresses IE9. In my experience, IE9 in compatability mode does not work at all. I have the same issue with my qsee 408, only there is an update for IE9. Since both computers I'm working with are IE8, I haven't bothered to update yet- not fixing what ain't broke. If your firmware update does not address IE9, you may want to see if it's compatable with google chrome or firefox. IE isn't the only game in town. As far as trying to update, DO NOT have one single other file on the usb stick. Only the firmware update and make sure it's not a folder, but just the update file itself. I've read that an update can take as long as 10 minutes for the drv to process, so be patient and don't touch a thing. Otherwise you could perminanty hoes the dvr. Good luck.

Dan

If I can find where to get the update, I can put it on my usb flash drive and update it that way. No clue where to get it though, heh.

I have tried firefox. It shows the cameras, but it only shows them one at a time. It allows me to use a drop down menu to view each camera, but only one at a time. IE displays all 4 at the same time, like it does on the monitor I have hooked up to it.

Does it come with desktop software and if so did you try that yet?

Running anything inside a browser will always have its limitations.

How were you initiating the network update?

Normally to do a network update you still need a file, and you use the network firmware software to send the update.

The security system didn't come with any software. I'm guessing that's probably why the Network update isn't working...because of what you said. It maybe looking for the firmware update on my computer, hoping I'd have it downloaded...which I don't.

I've went to the main samsung website, and it says to goto www.samsung.com/spstd to update firmware on things such as dvd players, tvs, etc..

Unfortunately, the spstd page on the samsung site doesn't update firmware for DVR's.

Now, the main security website for our Samsung system, is at http://www.samsungsv.com

The problem is, their website doesn't say anything about firmware updating.

I saw someone else create a topic a few down the forum which is also titled the SDE-120 DVR that he has. I know he was having issues updating his firmware too. I'm not sure if he ever solved it or not.

Maybe there just isn't an update for it. Is the dvr still supported? If you somehow can navigate to an update file, I would try taking the hub out and connecting directly, if you're grabbing it online. Hubs can get in the way of things like this some times. Best thing to do is save the file and write it to a stick.

Something isn't right with FF only showing one window. There's something you may be missing in setup, or even a FF extension you need to DL. It was tricky getting my dvr to work in FF, needing an extension to get it. But the only time I've ever heard of a one window limit is on i-phones and such. Try chrome too.

Dan

I got it all fixed, except the firmware update. There isn't a firmware update. I called Samsung this morning about it and they mentioned the SDE-120 DVR that came with the SDE-3000 system doesn't actually have a firmware update. It has the latest version of firmware. The next system came out with a new DVR. So that's that.

They patched my Internet Explorer 9 and it fixed the CreateDDSSecondary Error. They patched it previously when I was running Vista and it didn't fix it. Patching it on Windows 7 did though.

I was hoping the CreateDDSSecondary Error was causing this other problem too that I didn't mention, but patching it fixed the error, but still didn't fix the other.

The other problem I'm referring to, is there this Capture Image button along with 3 other buttons.

The buttons are as follow:

Save

Print

Capture Image

ActiveX Setting

I click Save and it doesn't do anything really. I'm waiting to hear back from Samsung on this whole thing as they're looking into the problem.

Print works just fine.

Capture Image won't capture any image so it's not working.

ActiveX Setting just allows me to alter the setting I'm guessing for saving the image or something. It has the option for DirectDraw and GDI. I've tried both. The other setting inside ActiveX Setting is the folder C:\SaveFolder

Now, previously, the SaveFolder didn't exist and I thought maybe that was the reason it wasn't working. So I created the SaveFolder in my C:\ drive.

So the capture image isn't working. I thought maybe it had to do with the Save button. When I press the Save button, it like pushes it down to alter what it looks like(enables it I guess?). I thought maybe it had to be pressed in order for Capture Image to work. Having Save pressed or not pressed gives the same result. Capture Image just won't work.

Waiting to hear back from Samsung though. They have a technician working on it to see if they can find out why it's not working. They're supposed to call back in 30 mins to an hour. If they find a reason it's not working and/or fix it, I'll post back and let ppl know why, just in case another user runs into the same problem.

Regarding the save issue, I have the same problem with some code in one of my programs, on XP it works fine, Win7 it didnt. Ended up that its because the actual source code I use for the capture side of it wont work with a 64 bit OS, or basically I just have to change it so it does. Another issue though you might be having is a permission issue trying to save to the C drive location. Try changing the location to the Documents/User data folder or the Desktop.

Do you know how/with what they patched your IE9? I've had this issue with IE7, IE8 and IE9 and Samsung support pretty much blew me off. They tried to blame my network, my workstation and everything else except their stuff. When I showed them without question it had to be a problem with their stuff (had them login remotely to the DVR) they didn't have an answer and left me hanging.

it is sad that this person never ever returned with a reply. This issue seems to be a common issue and has never been really fixed by anyone. this is the first posting I have seen that someone was able to fix the CreateDDSSecondary Error. All i can say is maybe they never did get it fixed.