ccsystems

Need help with an Axis system near Chicago

Here is my dilemma; I am new to IP based systems. I was able to land a nice low voltage installation that has a small Axis system 5 camera system. I hired a certified Axis integrator to do all of the programming and setup/training. I pulled the cable and mounted the cameras.

It has been nothing short of a nightmare working with this guy. Long story short. I am looking for an Axis integrator in the Chicago land area to work with me on the balance of this project.

Here is the layout

4 – Avis 215PTZE

1 – Axis P33 series

Dell server

HP switch.

All of the above seem to work correctly. He was out today and installed the server and switch. I have images on the monitor at the server.

The customer wants these cameras on a separate network and purchased client computers with 2 Nic cards. I have a seperate cable from the switch to each of these (2) computers. According to the integrator, this can not be done.

True???

I've never configured HP switches (just Cisco) but based on the specs, yes, you can do what the customer wants. The installer may not know how to configure the switch which is why he probably wrote it off.

You can create a VLAN on the switch just for the ports the cameras are plugged into. No need to use the dual NIC's. Just plug the computers into the same switch. If the customer wants to have the computers on the same network as the cameras, just make sure the ports you plug them into are assigned to the same VLAN. If they want the computers on the other network, you can assign access lists to allow just those two computers to talk to devices on the VLAN. Just make sure they are all plugged into the same switch.

Sorry, nowhere near Chicago. Was just confirming it was possible to do what you wanted with that switch.

I did some looking around. Here are some manuals on configuring ProCurve 2650 switches if you want to take a stab at it. Doesn't look too complicated.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/2650_6108.htm

This chapter talks about VLAN's:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/AdvTraff-Oct2005-59908853-Chap02-VLAN.pdf

This chapter talks about IP addressing:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/Mgmt-Oct2005-59906023-Chap08.pdf

So if I am following this correctly you have 5 IP cameras, 1 server and 2 clients with a 2nd NIC connected to the switch and that's the only thing connected to the switch?

The other NICs of the 2 client machines are going to be connected to a different physical network?

If this is the right scenario you don't need a Axis guy you just need a network guy. No Vlans necessary in this plan.

Quite simple actually.

It would be even easier just to put dual nics in the server.

Dead on!

We have several Avigilon servers with one NIC on the customers 10.x.x.x network and our cameras and switch on a second NIC with a 192.168.1.x network.