CER

Time controlled remote access

I have just completed the installation of a small analog system for a client. The cameras are in a gated residential community, some in the entrance area, and the rest all through the common areas including tennis court, kids' play area, etc.

Now my client is asking me for a time control of user access, which the software in the DVR doesn't provide. Anyone know of a reasonable solution?

Thanks!

I have just completed the installation of a small analog system for a client. The cameras are in a gated residential community, some in the entrance area, and the rest all through the common areas including tennis court, kids' play area, etc.

Now my client is asking me for a time control of user access, which the software in the DVR doesn't provide. Anyone know of a reasonable solution?

Thanks!

hi. you can also do this though your router. on most you can block your DVR external ip and set a schedule of time of day you what the dvr to be active over the network.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I need to explain myself better.

The client doesn't want to control access at certain times, but instead control de length of the sessions (e.g. 15 minutes tops). I believe the time control feature in most routers deals with absolute time bands (like from 2-4pm or something).

Tks!

If the DVR has a web SDK, you could create a custom website (probably have to run on its own webserver) where you could define custom user access rules, including possibly giving some users more time than others, or access to different cameras, etc.

Other than that... I don't know of any DVRs that will give a user remote access for a set time and then kick them off, at least not in the way you're looking for. At the very least you're looking at some custom work, and possibly looking at a new DVR that will support it.

Best bet might be to pull some huge number out of your arse and give that to the client as the cost of implementing this, in hopes that he'll find it too expensive and drop the idea.

If the DVR has a web SDK, you could create a custom website (probably have to run on its own webserver) where you could define custom user access rules, including possibly giving some users more time than others, or access to different cameras, etc.

Other than that... I don't know of any DVRs that will give a user remote access for a set time and then kick them off, at least not in the way you're looking for. At the very least you're looking at some custom work, and possibly looking at a new DVR that will support it.

Best bet might be to pull some huge number out of your arse and give that to the client as the cost of implementing this, in hopes that he'll find it too expensive and drop the idea.

I just had to say I found the end of this reply to be hilarious. Agreed, what a MAJOR pain in the butt. why would you need such an idea? as long as you and only you have login info, what time of day does it matter? thats just like turning off my pc from 4-6pm and then when i need to use it at that time, its off...