Pearl

Remote DVR monitoring concerns

We are going to install a DVR system at several locations. One of the locations will be strictly a secondary remote monitoring facility where the video transmissions are sent via T-1 line. This facility will be individually connected to all the various sites and will monitor one site at a time but have alarms to identify problems or alerts at one or more sites and then immediately presenting the video to us. The question is: when we monitor these locations do we stand any chance of the video transmissions being intercepted. I understand that with a dedicated T-1 the likelihood of interception is lessened but if there is any chance of being intercepted should the signal be encrypted and if so how is it best done.

There are several ways, however the interception would not happen on the isolated line, more where the recieveing unit was connected to the internet.. the thing is .... if you conenct two points with one line like a VPN it is secure but then if one end can go to the net as well and is on the same network then you arre no longer secure.

Look at it this way imagine a pipe and a tennis ball. if your mate at one end throws the ball down your pipe then it will reach you without intervention, but if more than one person can gain acces to your end of the pipe then anyone can get the ball, and to stop your end of the pipe being accessed by anyone then you need to make sure the pipe stops at you.. so a VPN without any networked internet accessable computers should secure you.. I know you meant can it be encrypted, yes it can but the band width is affected.

Nope but I have many dealers that I need to keep educated and not many in security know much about networking, hence the sometimes patronising explanations, the problem is you never know how much soemone knows so those type of explanations can easilly offend a knowledgable person.

But thanks for the feedback I assume you were not being sarcastic.

I was very much genuine. I very much appreciated your response and look forward to any assistance and advice you will be providing in the future...as I'm sure I will solicit it often. I will make it a point to view this forum to get as much information as I can and will certainly look for yours. Thank you very much

Hello to everyone!

I'm new here in the forum, so I want to say thanks in advance to all those in the forum sharing their amazing ideas.

the situation is this: I have like 5 stores each with a 8ch Hikvision DVR, the idea is to access them all in a main office remotely, everything has been set up and it works like a charm, main stream 3070Kbps, Substream 128Kbps, (each channel), the idea is to access them through substream so they fit the 780Kbps upstream from each store.

So the main concern here is the following, what would be the best specs for my remote client computer to access them simultaneously doing basic monitoring tasks, like local recording, remote playback, live view, etc.

Best Processor?

Best amount of RAM?

Best video card?

Compatibility Between all above?

All ideas, experiences and recommendations well received

Thanks in advance!

"I'm new here in the forum"

Welcome.

If you want to stay here don't start off by hijacking other peoples post.