foxguard

Power input with Cat5 mixed to give PoE... can it be done?

Hi,

Will try and make this make sense....

One of our customers has a camera that has stopped working. The wall it is mounted they do not want being touched...

Out of the wall comes the Cat5 and a power lead so behind the wall some where must be a splitter that has taken the PoE cat5 and split the power etc....

Can I take this power lead and Cat5 and get some thing to join them so I can then use a normal PoE camera?

If so what is this called please and if you have any links to a supplier would be really helpful....

Thank you in advance guys!

Hi foxguard. i would just replace the camera with what was there to start with. of just use a none POE as the power and data is already there. (check voltage first)

if they are fussy about the wall they will just be as fussy with extra adaptors that you cant hide

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply

The thing is, the camera that was already there was not very good. We want to replace with a Sanyo PoE that will have space under it to hide any adapters.

Do such adapters exist?

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply

The thing is, the camera that was already there was not very good. We want to replace with a Sanyo PoE that will have space under it to hide any adapters.

Do such adapters exist?

so long as the power coming from your power lead is 12 or 24v then it will plug into your sanyo.

if you want to go POE for just a few inches then yes just use an injector but it is a waste of money.

Are you sure they split off the CAT5 or did they run a separate cable for power to another location.

Doesn't really make much sense to split off the CAT5 behind the wall.

Edited by Guest

I didn't realise the Sanyo camera would take a direct power, thought it had to be PoE.

Ok that really helps, thank you very much.... as long as the power is still ok (its not been tested as yet) WE shall judt plug it in and away we go.

If not will just run new cable down the wall but not behind it.... they dont want us remioving the panels...

Thanks again for your help mate.

You say you already have a CAT5 at the location, why can't you use this for the network including POE

At the moment it is all hidden behind the wall.. all I can access is the Cat5 and a power lead... I do not know for sure the power lead is working ok or the splitter has failed behind the wall.

Have now been advised the Sanyo should be able to be plugged directly into the camera so all is well )

I do not know for sure the power lead is working

befor you go spending money the first thing would have been to test the old camera and power supply.

what make was the old camera ? and will the software take a sanyo.

Are you sure they split off the CAT5 or did they run a separate cable for power to another location.

Doesn't really make much sense to split off the CAT5 behind the wall.

No not 100% sure as is all hidden behind the wall and they wont let us take the wall down etc...

Kinda flying blind!

I do not know for sure the power lead is working

befor you go spending money the first thing would have been to test the old camera and power supply.

what make was the old camera ? and will the software take a sanyo.

The old camera was a 'peak'

We have installed Luxriot software which works well with the sanyo

The old camera was a 'peak'

just looked at the peak spec. and its only 5 volt and not POE. so your cat5 is ok to use.

at the NVR end use a POE injector and use the sanyo as POE. (test cat5 with tester)

TPL_POE_Injector-1.jpg

If it's a PoE switch, and it is actually showing the "PoE" LED on that port, then yes, they're probably using a PoE splitter at the camera - a little box that splits out and regulates the PoE down to whatever voltage is desired.

Something like this:

212972-1.jpg