shockwave199

Exterior camers- glass cleaning

If my house windows can get filthy, I figure my camera lenses are in the same boat. They've already been through some heavy rain. Any recommendations on how? Not a deep question, but I figure I would just use micro fiber cloth and wipe gently, being careful not to cause scatches. But is a cleaner in order, or just dampen the cloth? What say you? Thanks.

Btw- I'm talking bullet cams, not dome housings.

Dan

Edited by Guest

Sure, that seems fine.

BTW for any camera that gets drops of rain on the outside that obscure the view - apply rain-x to the surface (dome, etc) - it helps a lot!

I assume you're talking about the front glass of the housing, not the lens itself. I'll usually just wipe them down with a microfiber cloth (same with environmental housing for box cams, and pretty much all dome designs). If there's a particularly stubborn smudge, a Windex wipe (or other sort of pre-packaged glass-cleaning wipe) does the trick.

For outdoor and in-carwash cameras, I also have a pack of Rain-X wipes

163265_1.jpg

Thanks guys, and yes, I mean the galss not the lense. The rain-x, I love it for my windshield wiper fluid. No greasy film with the wipes?

Dan

For my exterior domes/enclosures I use ammonia free glass cleaner, usually the aerosol kind, but ammonia-free Windex works great.

For a few cameras that are in the path of the sideways rain, or are in really hard to get to spots, I like to hit them with the rain-x wipes after they are nice and clean. Keeps them cleaner for longer.

I have probably 50 exterior cameras around the property.

its cheap bullets so its just glass, use windex vinegar and a cloth.

if im in a rush to clean my own cameras .. heck spit and i whip off my shirt

if its a dome with a poly carbonate cover thats different.

I use a microfiber auto cleaning cloth (buy them cheap in packs of 3) and then either windex vinegar or rubbing alcohol. If I need to clean the actual lens, I use an eye glass cleaning cloth and rubbing alcohol, or you know those alcohol rubs from a pharmacy they come in squares already dipped in rubbing alcohol. Radio shack also sell the eye glass cloths in a pouch for cleaning digital camera LCD screens.

If its a dome in a kitchen and its cover is full of grease, Windex wont do anything for it and neither will Joy, so use rubbing alcohol (mix it with a very little bit of water) - works every time.

Thanks for the tips. I use windex with vinegar brand on countertops inside. The vinegar doesn't particularly clean better, but ants and such are supposed to be repelled by it. Not sure about that- an exterminater wipes out those problems. But thanks for pointing out my cheap bullets have glass. I'll consdier all options mentioned.

Dan

using anything alcohol based on polycarbonate lenses is not recommended. Better off using a good cloth and water. over time alcohol will cause lenses to develop tiny cracks.