Sign in to follow this  
racerx309

1st system set-up help

Hi,

Just joined the forum, My name is justin & I Live in Ponchatoula,LA.

my dvr- Security Labs SLD244 (4 channel)

camera- 1/3" sony ccd, 540 tvl, 36 ir led, lens 4-9mm

Is there a way to use a regular computer monitor as the cctv monitor?

Also where is a shop online that has good BNC monitor prices?

thanks.

Yes there most certainly is. It all depends on the inputs your monitor takes. If your monitor has VGA and/or HDMI inputs, you can use it to connect to most all DVRs. (Most DVRs have VGA outputs, and newer ones have HDMI).

VGA supports rather high resolutions, so you can view all your cameras at once and not be forced to make them tiny!

You can do almost as well with a composite input - that way you could use it as a spot monitor for an individual camera.

Thanks for the reply. my dvr only has a BNC video output.

Just called customer Service for the DVR

He said to buy a BNC to RCA adapter since he told me there's a way to use my TV.

The adapter looks like its only for 1 RCA wire. Which color RCA wire is used for video?

does that sound right, just 1 rca wire connecting my DVR video output to my TV?

Thanks -Justin

Yes, yellow is composite video. Red & white are left and right audio.

Video output from cameras is always composite, BNC input/output in terms of CCTV stuff is always composite.

one thing to note with the VGA converters is one tends to loose alot of quality, especially with the cheaper ones.

BNC monitors are exensive ... it is more cost effective to use a TV Screen and utilizing the AVI input which is the Yellow RCA input normally on the side of the TV.. all you need is a BNC cable - BNC to BNC with female BNC to RCA adapter plug it into the TV yellow AV port, switch the TV channel to AV and hey presto there show your CCTV screen..

DVR's also have the VGAor HDMI out so hence you can connect using these outputs to the input of you TV screen

Thanks for the reply. my dvr only has a BNC video output.

Just called customer Service for the DVR

He said to buy a BNC to RCA adapter since he told me there's a way to use my TV.

The adapter looks like its only for 1 RCA wire. Which color RCA wire is used for video?

does that sound right, just 1 rca wire connecting my DVR video output to my TV?

Thanks -Justin

Yes that would work, I recommend that all the time to my customers. Just connect the video out on the DVR with a BNC and on the other side get a BNC TO RCA male connection and connect it to the TV inputs.