Soundy

*Multichannel* Video Balun Recommendations

On big jobs I also use the following:

utp101pvrm121-1.jpg

With

utp116pvsv361-1.jpg

utp116pvsv362-1.jpg

The receiver/hub sends 36V to the camera, and the balun on the cameras end lowers whatever voltage it receives to 12V. This way it makes installation very easy, UTP runs of any length (which in the future will need no changes if there is a need to upgrade to IP cameras), and I do not need to worry about different voltages reaching the cameras due to different cable lengths, since the balun on the camera end will just lower it to 12V.

As it happens, I've recently had a major monkey wrench thrown into a job, that would make a setup like this very attractive... has anyone else used this sort of product, and is there anything else out there anyone could recommend? I've actually got something like 25-26 cameras on the job, so a 32-channel version of this would be great.

The biggest catch is, I'm on a super tight timeframe, so a supplier with quick turnaround would be crucial... plus, something that feeds 12-24V over the line instead of 36V (so I don't need "special" baluns) would be ideal.

Well, based on 3RDIGLBL's recommendation, I called up Eastern CCTV's western office, spoke with the wonderfully helpful Annie, and ordered two of these:

http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev16p-vps.htm

168098_1.jpg

vps-1.jpg

And I tell ya, this thing is GREAT! Got 27 VCM-24VFs and one CW504 hanging off two of them, and they work perfectly. Terminated all my camera runs into a patch panel, then plugged into the balun/power units with 18" patch cords... slick as can be.

They do sell an RJ45-to-BNC-and-power breakout balun, but those are too bulky for my purposes (plus the baluns have barrel plugs on them that I'd have to cut off to wire to the CNBs' connectors, so it seemed kinda pointless), so I just used my standard GEM mini-baluns and split out the wires appropriately:

blnmtl2-1.jpg

My one and only complaint is that the things are not a standard rack height - they appear to be approximately 1.5U - and the screw holes on the rack ears don't line up to any pairs of threaded holes on the rack, so there's only one screw mounting the box on either side... but they're pretty lightweight, so it's not a big deal.

I'll get a couple pictures of the setup next time I'm on site.

Oh, and from this experience, I can definitely recommend Eastern CCTV, they were great to deal with.