matusiam

outdoor camera - strange "box"

Hi,

Some of the outdoor cameras I have seen have some sort of small square box near them. The cable (coated) from the camera goes to that strange "box" and later on goes from that box further and later into the wall. Could anyone explain to me what is the purpose of this mysterious box ?

--regards

Hi,

Some of the outdoor cameras I have seen have some sort of small square box near them. The cable (coated) from the camera goes to that strange "box" and later on goes from that box further and later into the wall. Could anyone explain to me what is the purpose of this mysterious box ?

--regards

you will see lots of installs like that. (camera and junction box) you even see installers doing it with full body cameras (guess they never thought about just running cables direct to housing) but on small cameras where you cant do the cable termination inside the camera then a JB next to the camera is an option.

prdImg_PID267_thumb-1.jpg

As tom says, probably just a junction box... in his picture, the wire probably comes straight through the wall into the box, so it gives a way to weather-seal the opening through the wall.

The older PTZ type cameras might have a large box (receiver) next them, this would be for the Pan, tilt and zoom breakout wiring.

Thank you gentlemen,

So let me get it clear - the box can be used for example in a case when the wall is to thick and the cables from the actual camera are to short to go all the way down through the wall - hence you get such a box , get all the connections (bnc & power supply) there and later the cable goes through the wall.

So if I will need to buy one for an external camera then I would need to look for : cctv junction box

Thank you again guys - your all very helpful !

Just a weatherproof junction box, or gang box.

They come in all shapes and sizes.

If you run the cable direct into the box (without a liquid tight flex conduit) you can also get screw in wire sealers for the 1/2" or 3/4" holes in the box which help seal water from getting inside - instead of caulking the holes.

ANC765002lrg-1.jpg

So let me get it clear - the box can be used for example in a case when the wall is to thick and the cables from the actual camera are to short to go all the way down through the wall - hence you get such a box , get all the connections (bnc & power supply) there and later the cable goes through the wall.

That is one option, yes. Even if the cables are long enough, it may be preferable to go through the box just to allow you to seal up the hole in the wall better.

Sometimes you may not be able to run a wire directly through a wall (for example, if a camera is up on a parapet), so you might put one box down low, another up high by the camera, and a piece of conduit (tubing) in between to feed the wires through.

We did this recently when we had cameras mounting to the underside of a concrete "patio canopy", and had to bring the wire in from above:

2A254217626788800-1.jpg

2AE08571A21236800-1.jpg

2B9CF3BF636048800-1.jpg