FIERCE4203

using CATV splitter for multiple TV view

This thread isn't going to be about modulating a channel over standard cable transmission. I just wanted to see what other people do for splitting CCTV signals for multiple TV views. I do know there are bnc splitters and "T"'s but I have had luck using cheap standard CATV splitters (5m-2.4ghz). Which keeps the cost down on residential installs. I have used it on well over 100' runs. The only problem is using various type connectors. I usually use BNC out from back of dvr then RG59 type f to splitter type f out of splitter to RG59 RCA compression (try to elimate bnc with adaptor for the RCA figured one less connection.) Again this is keeping it simple and cost efficient. Would like to see what others think/do.

I was under the impression that composite signals couldn't be split like this. Then how is it that you have been able to do that?

Could someone clear this up!

Maybe something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-4-Video-Amplifier-RCA-Splitter-Car-Distribution-UA-/360386953826?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item53e8bc8262#ht_6453wt_1165

Just use a BNC to RCA converter on the ports. That should work no?

I was under the impression that composite signals couldn't be split like this. Then how is it that you have been able to do that?

Could someone clear this up!

I did the BNC split out to TVs recently and it was a horrible image on the AV Input, not to mention ground loops, but the blur was the worst. Not like what it used to be, seems certain LCD TVs just suck at that now.

Client bought some Geffen VGA over cat5 and will hook that up in the next few days.

Its a 1x8 distribution and they bought 3 receivers.

Not cheap so lets hope it works good

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3256

This thread isn't going to be about modulating a channel over standard cable transmission. I just wanted to see what other people do for splitting CCTV signals for multiple TV views. I do know there are bnc splitters and "T"'s but I have had luck using cheap standard CATV splitters (5m-2.4ghz). Which keeps the cost down on residential installs. I have used it on well over 100' runs. The only problem is using various type connectors. I usually use BNC out from back of dvr then RG59 type f to splitter type f out of splitter to RG59 RCA compression (try to elimate bnc with adaptor for the RCA figured one less connection.) Again this is keeping it simple and cost efficient. Would like to see what others think/do.

Whichever way you do it - CATV splitter or BNC T-connector (or RCA Y-cable, for that matter) - you're dropping the signal to each device substantially. With a two-way split, each downstream device gets only half the original signal. With a three-way split, each gets only 1/3 of the signal.

Using a CATV splitter has no benefit in this case; the only thing it does besides dividing the signal, is add a couple caps and coils to properly load the lines for 50 ohms impedance. In fact, since CCTV systems normally require 75-ohm loading, there's a chance you're adversely affecting the signal MORE than you would by simply using a BNC T-splitter.

Factor in the cost of the CATV splitter and assorted connectors required to make everything mate up (and BTW, multiple stacked connectors will have almost nil effect on the signal compared to what the splitter is doing to it), and you're probably spending ten times what you would by simply using a T-connector (like maybe, $5 vs. 50 cents).

If you're splitting any more than into two, you'll want to look into an active splitter anyway...

Hi folks. Since composite video has a frequency range of about 50Hz up to around 5 MHz, the cable TV splitters won't be much use - it'll behave like a BNC T-splitter.

To use multiple monitors you generally use T-splitters and turn off the 75 ohm terminators in all but the last monitor, or use a distribution amplifier as shown on xellbuy's link.

Most TVs don't allow the termination resistor to be switched out of circuit, in which case you have to open the TV up to unsolder it (and void the warrantee). Best bet would be the distribution amp.