jonmedlock

Starting out and a tad clueless!

Hi chaps,

In the process of purchasing my first CCTV camera but haven't really any clue as to where to start. I really don't mind at all what the first camera I buy is, specs/res are a non issue, I just want to get to grips with the setup.

I've been looking into cheap cameras just to get the ball rolling but aren't sure what to do once the camera arrives. Do all cameras come with software? If not then is there software I can download that will work with specific cameras?

I'm not bothered about wireless at this stage. I've got an old laptop that I was planning on using for the CCTV. Can I wire the camera straight to my laptop? Or is there a junction in the process that I've missed?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Appologies for the complete lack of any expertise but assumed a CCTV forum would be the logical place to start...

If you're talking analog cameras, software isn't enough - you also need some kind of capture hardware, something to interface the camera to your computer and digitize the video.

For network cameras, almost all can be viewed through their own web interface, and some (but not all) include basic recording software.

I've been recommended a network camera before so I think I'll probably go with one of those, thanks for the advice.

I'm aware that IP Network cameras offer live streaming but, say I wanted to set my camera(s) up to record from 6-10 every night, would this be possible? I'm aware that storage would mean that data would be overwritten every 30 days or so, but if I wanted to look back on some footage from the previous week and download it, is this easily achieved?

I've been recommended Axis as a good place to start, but they seem quite established and a cheap camera would set me back around £150 a go. Whereas I've just had a quick look on ebay and found cameras such as these for half the price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-waterproof-IP-network-Detect-Camera-FOSCAM-FI8904W-/280553022340?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4152436384

Given the requirements I have, could this be achieved with both or is there a massive advantage in getting a well-established name such as Axis?

Cheers, any advice is much appreciated!

FOSCAM

Hi. stay away from Foscam from ebay ..... even Foscam website warns of buying from ebay (no support)

are you looking for indoors or outdoor cameras.

That camera would probably work to get started with, but it doesn't look like it includes anything for recording. If you figure you're going to continue and get a better camera later, you may be better off just spending the extra for the better camera now, and not waste your money on the cheap one.

Looking for indoor cameras to start with then once I get the hang of things outdoor as well.

Ok, I'll steer clear of ebay. Cheers for the heads up!

If I go with a well known retailer such as Axis, will recording software be likely to be included with the camera? Or is this possibly something that I could download?