misha

Has anyone used sony ip cameras for number plate recognition

I have used them a fair bit and find that they work fairly welll... I have on some jobs with the camereas only being allowed to be used in certain positions and angles tht I have had to go with JPEG to get the Number Plates..

I have not used any ANPR software yet but no there are some good ones on the market so can't help you there.

Basically the CH models are fine but more important is the camera position.

MM

I have an IQ511 (1.3MP) set up to catch plates on my street... it's not the greatest, as the shutter slows right down at night, and the only suitable lens I had for it was a 7-70mm manual-iris beast, which is a standard-def lens so it's not as crisp as it could be. Still, in daylight, it works fairly well...

Plate20Sample201-1.jpg

the camera is located at quite bad place (angle is more than 30 degrees, and camera is watching 2 lanes) but it is being compared to M12 dual sec that handles the objective very well both day and night. For day time, images from sony are awesome even at factory settings, but for the night time i wasn't able to get image even "near" to something like license plate, the only seen image is blurry light passing, besides camera is watching cars from back side so front lights doesn't cause any, played with settings a lot but didn't get any results...