tleggette

LCD Television as my main cctv monitor resolution problems?

Have read on this forum until I am punch drunk. So help on this would be appreciated.

My system is a Merit/Lilin DVR 308, supposed to be full D1, with VideoSecu IR cameras with 540 TVL and Siamese cable and BNC. I am using a 46 inch LCD HD Tv as my monitor.

Quality of the picture is not what i think it should be. My question is,

What can I do to be sure I am getting the least degradation in picture using this combination.

Should I try the VGA input/outlets on TV and DVR. DVR advertises up to 1920 x 1080 resolution. I have read about trying to match up resolutions on TV and DVR. Does that work.

Thanks

Ty

Using VGA would definitely help, especially if the DVR will output widescreen resolutions natively.

Consider what's happening otherwise: you're taking an analog camera, digitizing it at around 704x480 pixels, compressing that digitized image, then outputting it at 525-line resolution (NTSC spec), and into the TV where it's being scaled up by a factor of 2.25 vertically, and worse, is also being stretched horizontally by being scaled by a factor of 2.727272.... plus, most lower-end TVs do a quick, low-quality scale function - no interpolation, no smoothing.

You might get an improvement by turning off the stretch (most TVs will call this "normal" display), so at least it's resized by the same amount in both dimensions, but going VGA from the DVR to the TV would be your best bet.

Any settings on dvr,tv that could be changed deinterlacing,etc. It is amazing how much better the cameras can perform when directly fed into Tv. Obviously there is some degradation of picture when running through dvr.

Thanks

I doubt there are any settings that would improve the composite output of the DVR. VGA and the closest matching resolution is the way to go.

like soundy has said VGA will get you the res ..... the BNC is just for spot monitors

once you have a VGA connected you will see 3 settings for large screen setup.

3D intellectual motion adoptive refinement with vivid image enhancement VGA engine up to 1920 * 1080i page 22 of manual.

I did finally run the VGA output and it looked okay. Some cameras looked better through the bnc composite and some looked better through the VGA. Go figure. Either way there is some degradation of image quality when running through DVR, which was to be expected I guess.