Digiscan

Is there a "best in class" type guide for IP cameras?

I can't really find a guide like this online. I've come upon various reviews, but some are outdated and none seem to really say "if you have $100, buy this, if you have $300, buy this, etc.".

So, the inevitable question:

I am looking for a megapixel IP camera. I will have it outdoors, but under a rain/snow protected porch, so it won't get hit by the elements at all (except cold).

Last week I tried the entry Foscam wireless camera and really hated it. Its wireless wasn't strong, but worse its image quality was terrible (so bad), so I'm willing to go with a wired camera. I love how Mobotix don't require a PC for their processing, but the M24 costs $700+ and that's a bit rich at this point. Is there a reliable megapixel wired IP camera that takes sharp daytime images and acceptable night time, with good software without spending $500+?. My main requirement is I just need a way to motion-capture images and then sent them to FTP. As long as it has a good view angle I don't need (nor actually want) anything that can pan/tilt. Don't need zoom, either.

Thanks very much!

Also as a bonus question: why is it that a cheap webcam can give an HD feed but to get that on an IP camera it costs many magnitudes more? I'm really surprised how bad the images are on some of the $100 cameras, when a $50 webcam captures much better images.

Webcams have horrible quality in low light. They use cheap lenses and chipsets and sensors. They can't be recorded as easily. They aren't weatherproof. There are minimal settings options... The list goes on forever. Real CCTV cameras are designed for a specific use, and they are good at it.

The camera you tried out should never be a representative of real CCTV products. I've never used IP, but many others here will be able to recommend solid products. I think $500 is rather cheap for Megapixel IP...

Thanks. Based on my experience with that foscam and reading many reviews of other similarly priced wireless cameras I think they are just gimmicks/toys more than anything else. I've come upon a vivotek megapixel bullet camera 8332 or something like that which seems to do pretty well for about ####. Not sure how its software is, though, but its image quality and video look pretty decent.

I don't actually need this to monitor criminals or anything like that, basically just to catch the potential dog going to the bathroom on my yard and the like But image quality needs to be better than those cheapo cameras for sure.

Based on my experience with that foscam

these cameras are just webcams. but you also have to watch were you buy a foscam from. they are all over amazon and e bay. which are not true foscams.

a good budget ip is the avers. http://surveillance.aver.com/product/Bullet-IP-Camera-SF1311H-B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1q79Pchyr8&feature=player_embedded

Based on my experience with that foscam

these cameras are just webcams. but you also have to watch were you buy a foscam from. they are all over amazon and e bay. which are not true foscams.

a good budget ip is the avers. http://surveillance.aver.com/product/Bullet-IP-Camera-SF1311H-B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1q79Pchyr8&feature=player_embedded

Where is the aver sold? I spent a few min on google and find it all over but nobody actually selling it !

I had the same problem. User "tomcctv" recommended it to me also. Seems to be great camera but you cant find anybody who sell it in the United States.

Where is the aver sold? I spent a few min on google and find it all over but nobody actually selling it !

Webcams do not do low light, wide dynamic range etc and are missing other important features.

I've been happy with Panasonic NW-V502 and Axis P3344, both of which can be found new in the box on ebay in the price range you're looking at. Look around the info is out there, stick with brand names that you can find at lots of stores and have good support (Axis definitely fits in that category). Just my opinion as a hobbyist (I don't sell cameras).

I think Vivotek cameras are a good bang for your buck. Far from the best cameras on the market, but when you consider the price of only ~$500, I think my Vivotek camera is pretty impressive. But, like most cameras, they have their weaknesses.

Also, there really cant be a "if you have X dollars to spend, then buy this camera" type of guide, because it all depends on what you are using it for, how much light you have available, how far away your focal point is, whether you are using it indoors or outdoors, PTZ or fixed, dome or not, what features are required for your specific application, etc etc... It's just so hard to have a perfect camera for all applications.

The best thing a person could do is to give a budget, let us know what you are using it for, what features are important to you, and take it from there.

The other problem is that CCTV technology lives life in the fast lane. Every time you turn your head, theres a newer camera out with better/newer technology. It's hard to keep up with that from the standpoint of somebody who would be making these "guides" that you are asking about

Yeah it may have to be the vivotek, $350 is on the high-end of my ideal price but I don't want to be frustrated with the thing being a piece of junk and those do have a nice picture quality!

I was going to have this backup immediate to FTP. However, I then thought why not backup to a hidden wireless hard drive in my house? Then even if the thing got robbed I'd have this thing kicking around somewhere with the images, and far quicker and more reliable than FTP. So I went to amazon...and other than a single wireless hard drive the rest were absolutely vilified, they seem to be incredibly badly reviewed! Is saving to a wireless hidden hard drive something some people do?

Vivotek IP8332 seems like the best one at the ~$### price. Sample vids indicate video quality not reminiscent of USB cams from 1998 like the Foscam.

One question about it there is a "removable IR-cut filter". Is this going to be automatic within the device as day turns to night? Or at least automatically changeable by the software on the PC (e.g. it detects a darkness cutoff and switches this mechanical filter)? I certainly don't want it to have to default to day or night only...

$350 is on the high-end of my ideal price but I don't want to be frustrated with the thing being a piece of junk

Looking for an IP cam, that you wont be frustrated with, and having $350 as the HIGH end of your budget might be living in a dream world. I think $350 should be the very LOW end of your budget, and maybe ~$500 or so could be the high end. Then again, prices on these things get cheaper and cheaper every month. It's been 6 months or so since I've done any shopping around. You could also check the classified section of the forum for some decent cameras at a bargain price.

The old cliche "you get what you pay for" has never been more true than in the world of cameras.

One question about it there is a "removable IR-cut filter"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vivotek+IP8332

the second link (http://www.vivotek.com/downloadfiles/downloads/datasheets/ip8332datasheet_en.pdf) says:

"In order to adapt to constantly changing outdoor lighting conditions, the IP8332 features a removable IR-cut filter as well as IR illuminators effective up to 15M for superior image quality around the clock."

Only thing I would like to add to this thread is this,

Please read the forum guidelines before posting.

Post only suggested retail/list price if you must post a price.

For example:

the list price for the Vivotek IP8332 is $540.00 so that is the price that should be mentioned when discussing that product in the open forum.

So if looking at $500 - $600 per cam (actual not list) what IP cams would be recommended for a blend of good day and night coverage with decent FPS and minimal smear ?

Thanks

There is a web site that covers the IP video market and does head to head tests, but requires a paid subscription to access their results. Don't know if I can post a link, so check your favorite search engine.