johnny916

What are the current best security cameras and DVR systems?/

There is no "best" camera or DVR.

There is "best for this specific purpose", or varying degrees of "better for this specific purpose" but there is no 100% one-size-fits-all perfect solution.

More importantly, there is "best for the price range for this specific purpose" as there is a WIDE range of prices.

If you want high-def/high-resolution, be prepared to pay for it - megapixel cameras typically start around $200 and go up rapidly into the $10,000+ range.

The first thing you need to do is define your needs: what do you want to watch? How large an area? What level of detail? Do you need to identify people, or just activities? Are you more worried about vandals, prowlers, burglars, or liability issues (someone falling on your sidewalk and then suing you for their own clumsiness)?

After that, you need to determine what you're prepared to spend, since again, you can get complete package systems starting at $300-$400 that will give you crap results, right up to systems running into the tens of thousands that will let you count the nose hairs on a perp a half-mile away.

right up to systems running into the tens of thousands

And even THOSE systems can be installed like crap by lousy installers, leaving you no better off than seeing nothing. They did this very thing at work last year and I'm the one who watches it all night long. I can't imagine worse implementation on a mere seven cameras of a sixteen channel system. The rest of the channels remain empty because of how much they've spent thus far for nothing. I monitor what's not particularly important, and miss the MOST important areas. Amazing. I won't even mention the install itself. The only thing good are the cameras- but poorly placed. And in a browser on the same screen, I keep an eye on my own install at home. A mere pitance of cost compared, much cheaper cameras, but looking at exactly what I need to see. Moral- make sure you get your multi thousand dollar system installed right so you can actually realize what you paid for.

Dan

Great, so what systems have you installed with great success? Should I avoid brands like Q-See, Swann, and other Fry's bought DVR systems?