ludshed

Help with cctv integration to home theater.

This shouldn't be to hard and I'm sure a lot of you have experience/knowledge with this. I want to be able to fully integrate the security with the tv's throughout a structure. Specifically when a predefined motion area is tripped to be able to send a signal of some form to all the tv's, even if it as simple as an led that lights up and/or an audible alarm. Case in point when someone is lying in bed at night and someone comes into yard/driveway they can just hit the pic-in-pic to see what's happening. Any help or ideas/experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wow... that's a pretty open requirement, and as such there are probably too many different ways to achieve it to list in one post

If all you want to do is turn on some kind of indicator, that's easy enough... feeding one signal to all the TVs in the house is pretty straightforward as well, if you want to do it via a cable channel or have some sort of signal distribution method in place.

One tricky part though, with the little red light idea, would be actually wiring that to every location you want to have it...

With running into the TVs, the other thing to keep in mind is that if the TV is off, you'd have to have the system turn it on, then change input/channel as needed. Not a lot of TVs will support this natively - most will be able to do it using an IR blaster, but again, that's something you'd have to wire into every location you want it to work.

Hi Soundy, thanks for the reply. I have 2 different structures I'm working on with a possible third coming soon, both now, hopefully all will have integration with video. I've set them up so far so each tv (3 in each house) have the ability to stream content off the net as well as off the lan. To each tv I've got 2 cat 5's, 1 coax and 1 18/4 going to a coms closet/rooms. As far as being able to have dvr/nvr automatically turn on/change inputs I wasn't trying to take it that far (I'm not, and these customers are not going to come to terms with the cost of control4), just to be able to have audible and visual alarm. I know most dvr's have an alarm output that shouldn't be to hard to split and run on the extra pairs, I just wanted to see if any one has experience with it; pros/cons. As far as the video goes I was just planning on using one pair of the 18 to balun/rca adapter to use in the pic/in/pic. About the NVR option all of the above might be challenging.

I have Mac Mini's on all my TV's that serve this purpose (plus other things like playing DVDs, interfacing with the home automation system, etc.).

Easiest way is to have a static page/bookmark for the cameras and common layouts selectable via hotkeys over an IR remote, or using the Mobile Mouse app.

Hook the 'Mini to an HDMI input on your TV, and the rest is pretty easy.

YMMV.

I have a Toshiba and it has something called Regza Link on it.

With my TV off, if I turn on my DVD player the TV comes on automatically and tunes the the appropriate HDMI feed.

If you could somehow tie the alarm switch on the DVR to kick in that or on a different TV maybe a scripted IR sequence that could essentially do what you are asking I would imagine