CSG

Kalatel Digia DVR

Going to try a Kalatel for a small job i'm installing. Using the 4 channel Digia, be interesting to see how it stacks up against a DM ECCO-4.

Its nothing like the other GE DVRs, uses totally different software (not WaveReader) and has no features of the other DVRs. For $300 more you can get the StoreSafe which has all the bells and whistles.

If the DM Eco is the same price, then it is a better buy than the Digia

Rory

CSG, Digia is based on MPEG-4 compression. The earlier versions did not give you remote playback on video... The latest version (came about less than 2 weeks ago) comes with the full playback feature...

Make sure you have the latest Digia regardless where you get them. Ask for the manufacturing date and if it is longer than 2 weeks, do not buy it, as the latest one comes with the latest and greatest firmware and most importantly, video playback remotely.. If they tell you that you can flash the memory with newer firmware, tell them to keep it and to give you the newest unit...

Digia comes with 120FPS for 4 channels and if you program it correctly, we potentially can record in a real time 30FPS per port... Here is the spec sheet if you need more info: http://www.ge-consultantlink.com/Docs/digia_prd.pdf

Digia or any GE DVRs do kick DM's ass at the moment and always will... DM is crap and stay away if you can...

Levon

DM must be doing some serious marketing to the general security distributors, since the majority of companies that buy them just ask their security distributor to recommend a DVR .. we got plumbers installing them down here now ... moe power to them, moe jobs for me to take over and switch with a GE

One person I would never ask advice from on DVRs or CCTV for that matter, is a sales person from a general security distributorship ... and by that I mean places like ADI, Silmar, etc.

Rory,

You know it man.... DM does have a good marketing team, however their product quality has dropped over the year as they increase their productions and with over 50% failure rates, we dropped them too...

Levon

yeah DM was my first choice a few years back when searching the interner, until i found Kalatel which had better remote software ... and well it just got better from there. When they say they are selling DM, im like cool man great DVR ... i mean they are buying it for double the GE and selling it for triple my selling price ..

Metz, i havent looked close enough at either product, but I loved the Kalatel, have you used the Divar yet, I am interested to see your thoughts if indeed you have tried all three.

DM tends to sell a lot more here than Kalatel, but I think the main reason is better marketing, if you had seen the glossy's they produce, you would know what I mean, pound for pound thought the kalatel shines, but surely could have nicer (looking) software.

but surely could have nicer (looking) software.

thats what i made but i gave it out for free

I have looked and sold both. I myself liked Kalatel then and GE Security now... After a year of major problems with DM's quality issues (over 50% failure rates drove us to extreme), we basically dropped them across the board..

Digia initally came as a 4 channel DVR with 120FPS view and record box... The problem was that you did not have remote playback capability, rather just remote view as it happens... 2 weeks ago, they updated the firmware (with some push from our end) and now with the same box, you can playback video remotely...

Excellent video quality and excellent performer. What GE did was that they took the same MPEG-4 compression and incorporated in their latest SDVR series and a different model and the response from our customers were great. I also know that all their product lines will have this technology eventually - they just have not figured out yet how they can market it with so many different models... I think they will have this technology based system to be more expensive and push the pricing lower on the older models, even though the only difference will be the type of or version of the bios.

Overall, great performers... similar to all our Bosch DVRs and specially their latest DIBOS, which I am told is available in US mid-August.... We already seen and had some of our customer tested and they all loved them... We should be putting 4 of these units in a department store within next 30 days (if they become available that is...)

Levon

Did not have a chance to take it apart yet - just had an opportunity to play with it and received very good responses on our tests with our customers...

IT IS SHMINDOWS XP EMBEDDED.... - At least that is what the specs stated...

Will have more info when it is ready to ship in mid-August...

Levon