Sign in to follow this  
what2be

Advanced Geovision Questions.

Version 8.5, 1480 card (the original one, not the 1480A), 16 cameras installed.

1) What does the limit port feature do exactly? (find under system configure, startup, general) It says in the manual it gives more frame rates to the working cameras but if Im correct I thought the software did this automatically when you had less than the max cameras installed? (e.g., if the 1480 card has 16 cameras set at D1 (704x480) resolution the frame rate would be 15fps, if you had 8 cameras at D1 (704x480) resolution then the frame rate would be 30fps.) If I'm correct and the software does allocate frame rates to the working cameras automatically then what is the purpose of the limit port feature? Below I attached the chat log from geovision, they were worthless in helping me.

2) Im getting ready to add a IP cam, if I understand right then once I do I will have 32 channels to choose from instead of the 16 I now have? Is this correct?

3) In your experience, is it worth it to buy the geovision ip cams and not need the dongle or am I better off buying the dongle and after market IP cams?

4) at what price/performance point is it worth it to pay extra? e.g., How much better is 1.3 vs 3 vs 5? I understand the resolution difference, I want to know real world experience.

5) are the IP dome vs brick vs bullet cams near the same image quality? From my experience years ago In the analog world, the bricks seemed to always be better followed by the bullets and then the domes.

6) is there any frame rate change between 704x480 and 704x480 De-interlaced? Does processing usage go up much more when de-interlaced is enabled?

Thanks!

=================================

Welcome to GeoVision online support, my name is Connie. Please give me a moment to review your question.

[Connie] How many cameras do you have?

[Geoff ] 16 analog cameras

[Geoff ] my question is a bit convoluted so let me start with a simpler one, ok?

[Geoff ] the 1480 card is rated at 480 fps, at what resolution?

[Connie] one second.

[Geoff ] ok

[Connie] CIF resolution is 480 fps. you can check http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GV1480A.asp

[Geoff ] yes, I just said that earlier. My question is what is the resolution its measured at? 320x240?

[Geoff ] 480/16=30 fps at 320x240. At 640x480 its going to be 15fps, what is it at 704x480?

[Geoff ] Also, is there a difference in framerate between 704x480 and 704x480 de-interlaced?

[Connie] CIF for 480 fps and D1 for 240 fps, as you can see in the link I just provided.

[Geoff ] is D1 704x480? And does the framerate of 240 change whether or not I pick de-interlaced or not?

[Connie] D-1 resolution is 720 × 480 for NTSC systems

[Geoff ] So if I have 16 cameras running at D1 I have 14fps for each camera, correct?

[Geoff ] And if I have 8 cameras running then I should have 30fps for each camera right?

[Geoff ] Do does the geovision software automatically split the framerate between ONLY the working cameras or for each channel thats enabled in the software?

[Geoff ] When I mean each channel in the software, I mean whether or not it has a camera connected or not.

[Geoff ] typo in my earlier message, I meant 15fps, not 14fps.

[Connie] The total fps will be shared with how however many cameras you have.

[Connie] Divide Eight ports card with total 240 and you get 30fps.

[Geoff ] SO what does the limit port function do then? In the manual, it says to use the limit port feature to give frame rates to other cameras. If the software does this automatically then why do you have the limit port feature in the software?

[Geoff ] Hello?

[Connie] The cacluation is based on the hard ware. New software give you the ability to give frame rate to more repferable cameras.

[Geoff ] that is true, but the limit port feature actually DISABLES whatever channels you pick in the limit port option box. So once again, why is that feature there and what exactly does it do?

[Geoff ] the feature your talking about is under each cameras options, it has nothing to do with the limit port feature.

[Connie] Can you specify where you find limit port option?

[Geoff ] yep, system configure, startup, look under General

[Connie] Do you refer to frame rate limitation under rec control?

[Geoff ] NO, i just said, under system configure, then click on startup. When the box pops up you will see the option for limit frame rate.

[Geoff ] If I meant rec control I would have said System configure, Camera configuration, rec control.

[Connie] what verison do you use maybe we have different interface?

[Geoff ] 8.5

[Connie] Do you have lots of more questions, since it is into our lunch break for 20 minutes. Can you come back arund 1:00PM ?

[Geoff ] Your clicking on the hammer and screwdriver icon correct? And then you click system configure, then you click startup and when the screen pops up its not there?

[Geoff ] NO, this is my last question.

[Connie] system configure-> where is startup?

[Geoff ] right below password setup.

[Connie] found it,

[Connie] Does your gray out?

[Geoff ] when you click system configure you should see general, camera configure, camera install, password setup, startup, system log setting, etc.

[Geoff ] no

[Connie] If you limit the port to lower, then you have advantage to get more frame rate.

[Geoff ] I thought you told me earlier the software did it automatically depending on how many cameras I had installed?

[Connie] I will have to go, please come back later or check on our user manual for the usage of the limit.

[Connie] Sorry aobut this inconvenience.

[Geoff ] ok

POOR Connie.

what2be. when you talk to geo you need to give them as much info on your product as possable your talking about 1 card and Connie is talking about another. i dont think she went on her lunch break i think she got a headache.

POOR Connie.

what2be. when you talk to geo you need to give them as much info on your product as possable your talking about 1 card and Connie is talking about another. i dont think she went on her lunch break i think she got a headache.

Connie would be better off on the couch collecting unemployment. That way she wouldn't be wasting peoples time and could let someone competent assume her position running the live help desk.

This isn't about one card, it applies to EVERY card Geovsion makes, it's a question that pertain's to the 8.5 software, which CONNIE should be at least familiar with. Instead she can't even find the menu context items, let alone tell me what it does. And she continues to give me the side step and bypassing my questions. If thats the best employee's geovision can find then god help that company.

Connie would be better off on the couch collecting unemployment. That way she wouldn't be wasting peoples time and could let someone competent assume her position running the live help desk.

your card is 2004 / 5 tech were talking to you about 2009 / 10 card hence the reason for your D1 problem.

Instead she can't even find the menu context items, let alone tell me what it does. And she continues to give me the side step and bypassing my questions.

that because its not on the card SHE was giving you advice about.

This isn't about one card, it applies to EVERY card Geovsion makes

it sounds like you want your 2004 card to function like the 2010 card (that cant happen)

-------------------------Comparison for GV-Combo Card and GV-Combo A Card-----------------

------------------------------- Total Recording Rate (NTSC/PAL) (fps)--------------------------

.......................GV-1480---- GV-1480A----GV-1240---- GV-1240A---- GV-1120----GV-1120A

VGA  .............. 120/100..........240/200.........120/100..........120/100...........80/70............80/72 fps

D1   ............... 120/100..........240/200.........120/100..........120/100...........80/70............80/72 fps

Turbo VGA..........N/A..............416/400.............N/A..............240/200.............N/A.............120/100 fps

Turbo D1............N/A..............352/320.............N/A..............240/200.............N/A.............120/100 fps

Not that anyone at Geovision would know that.... but in case anyone else is wondering, here it is.

My question is still unanswered. How does the Geovision 8.5 software allocate the frame rates (fps) on their cards?

Example, with the older 1480 card, If your set to D1 resolution (704x480) and have 16 analog cameras connected, does the 120fps get divided by 16 camera and is fixed at 7.5 frames per camera whether any of the cameras are recording or not?

>>OR<<

Does it allocate 30fps per camera until it exceeds 4 cameras recording at once and then starts dividing frames between the ones that are recording? (I got the number 4 from taking the max frame rate at D1, which in this case is 120 and dividing it by max fps which is 30)