Flicks

Settings for arecont 5100dn to use as LPR

I have read here that an arecont camera can be successfully used to capture license plates at night. I would like to use the 5100dn for this purpose. The distance is about 75 feet with about 30 degree horizontal angle (can use a 50 mm or a 75 mm lens) Cars have to slow down at this point to make the turn on to the street. There is a sodium vapor street light at the intersection. What settings should i use in the camera to avoid washouts? Should i use ir? BTW....the daytime pictures are perfect!

Thanks for any guidance.

Cheers!

if a $20 amazon camera can do it, hopefully the arecont can - both with some mods

testing $20 color IR camera - hand over top of leds

basically the IR cant be that powerful, just enough to pickup the plates at a certain distance, not to see anything else. Eg. See how the plates are picked up although too far from the camera, but that would be enough light to get the plates and nothing else at that distance, if the lens could zoom in that far.

1178086080_1-colorirwithlights.png.010a3395772b680603edfa9c97e57ac6.png

1287328511_2-colorirhandovertopofirledswithlightson.png.7218b9aec520d760a610f8396e224c3e.png

2059272992_3-colorirhandovertopofirledsinpitchdark.png.241b0720a55b1390dee878913d6b30a2.png

cheap-color-ir-lightsoff.png.99bb76a8a13c1282dd4c839a18a63e22.png

What about a moving vehicle

Shutter would be set to high, balance the amount of IR you need.

The above was just a test, not for moving vehicles or to be actually placed out in the field for LPR.

if a $20 amazon camera can do it, hopefully the arecont can - both with some mods

[attachment=3]1- color ir with lights.png[/attachment]

[attachment=2]2 - color ir hand over top of ir leds with lights on.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]3 - color ir hand over top of ir leds in pitch dark.png[/attachment]

basically the IR cant be that powerful, just enough to pickup the plates at a certain distance, not to see anything else. Eg. See how the plates are picked up although too far from the camera, but that would be enough light to get the plates and nothing else at that distance, if the lens could zoom in that far.

[attachment=0]cheap-color-ir-lightsoff.png[/attachment]

Thanks Rory. I can't tell if the headlights are on in these pictures. Basically, in my case, the picture washes out in the night with the Arecont 5100DN without an IR. I am going to try it next with your suggestion of using a low intensity IR (keep going up in intensity, if needed). If this setup doesn't work then I will use an analog camera (like you) for night time use and keep the Arecont for daytime. I picked up this Arecont camera (brand new) from Ebay for $150 and the 50 mm Fujinon lens for another $25 so I can easily afford to use two cameras for this purpose.

Cheers.

With the arecont, perhaps adjust the shutter higher and that it cant see much in low light like that could be a plus, if it has WDR use that, otherwise try BLC.

here is a CNB WDR camera, with WDR enabled.

Negative - edited saved image

if your camera has a negative feature that may help.

I know some KT&C cameras have that built in the OSD.

1883743214_CNBWDRLPR1.png.d14618811174f437dce7122d88d61948.png

460735812_CNBWDRLPR2.png.39f5092fef0f47e80184e5fcc240c611.png

[attachment=3]1- color ir with lights.png[/attachment]

[attachment=2]2 - color ir hand over top of ir leds with lights on.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]3 - color ir hand over top of ir leds in pitch dark.png[/attachment]

[attachment=0]cheap-color-ir-lightsoff.png[/attachment]

Thanks Rory. I can't tell if the headlights are on in these pictures. Basically, in my case, the picture washes out in the night with the Arecont 5100DN without an IR. I am going to try it next with your suggestion of using a low intensity IR (keep going up in intensity, if needed). If this setup doesn't work then I will use an analog camera (like you) for night time use and keep the Arecont for daytime. I picked up this Arecont camera (brand new) from Ebay for $150 and the 50 mm Fujinon lens for another $25 so I can easily afford to use two cameras for this purpose.

Cheers.

It's been my experience (both megapixel and analog) in order to capture plates at night, you need to set the shutter speed extreamly fast. Min 1/60-1/120. Its the only way to rid enough motion blur on moving vehicles to read plates. Problem is, that high of shutter speed lets in very little light. Hence the need for lots of IR. This will bounce off the reflective plates but plates will be about the only thing in the picture you'll see. This is why you generally have 2 cameras for LPR setups. 1 plate cam (high speed shutter) and 1 overview (normal speed shutter).

This is actually a good candidate for catching plates, though the manufacturer has dedicated LPR cameras. This has - 5-50mm, 70m Ir (obviously less than that), IR min and max level, Dual Window IR, Headlight Compensation (masks out headlights for what its worth), Adjustable Gamma, Adjustable Shutter, Adjustable DNR, Negative Image, Digital WDR (for what its worth), AGC on or off, Heater, Dual Voltage - though it does draw alot of current, and its the older 550TVL - however that could be a good thing. Unlike the LPR cameras though, this could be used for non LPR applications also. Just an example of what maybe to look for as far as specs go. These features can generally be turned on and off until you get what you want. BTW you dont necessarily need WDR for LPR.

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=581&sid=347a71f2b4c9a1d1e96786595755d818

This is actually a good candidate for catching plates, though the manufacturer has dedicated LPR cameras. This has - 5-50mm, 70m Ir (obviously less than that), IR min and max level, Dual Window IR, Headlight Compensation (masks out headlights for what its worth), Adjustable Gamma, Adjustable Shutter, Adjustable DNR, Negative Image, Digital WDR (for what its worth), AGC on or off, Heater, Dual Voltage - though it does draw alot of current, and its the older 550TVL - however that could be a good thing. Unlike the LPR cameras though, this could be used for non LPR applications also. Just an example of what maybe to look for as far as specs go. These features can generally be turned on and off until you get what you want. BTW you dont necessarily need WDR for LPR.

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=581&sid=347a71f2b4c9a1d1e96786595755d818

Rory,

I have an old GE analog camera (KTC-2000DN) that I will try first in B/W mode with a 70 mm lens and a long range IR. Will try fast shutter speed although the cars come to a stop/crawling speed as they try to leave my street or come on to my street from the main street (it's a trisection). Also, will try a filter to block out most of the UV. Any other recommendation?

Recall, my daytime camera will the Arecont 5100DN mounted with the 50 mm Fujinon lens. I will try this too with the IR for night time by changing the exposure settings to fast (short)/fast speed.

I am hoping this dual camera setup works. Otherwise, I may look for a total analog solution like your suggestion or like the ones below that i was looking at earlier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160461996686?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCN-1030

What do you think of the specs of Wonwoo BCN-1030?

BTW, I couldn't find the KT&C you recommended anywhere here in US. There was one listing on ebay.

Cheers

BTW, I couldn't find the KT&C you recommended anywhere here in US. There was one listing on ebay.

Search for:

KPC-N850NHF

And their LPR B/W only cameras:

KPC-LP850 = 50-50mm

KPC-LP500 = 9-22mm

Rory,

I have an old GE analog camera (KTC-2000DN) that I will try first in B/W mode with a 70 mm lens and a long range IR. Will try fast shutter speed although the cars come to a stop/crawling speed as they try to leave my street or come on to my street from the main street (it's a trisection). Also, will try a filter to block out most of the UV. Any other recommendation?

I used that once, was an Exview DN camera, not bad actually.

Been years though. Since its exview its going to try let in as much light as it can, so need to make that dark as possible. Turn off AGC, adjust gamma (probably only 1 way or the other). Dont recall if it even has shutter adjustments on the dip switches.