Ronald

Canadian winter and CCTV analog camera

Hi,

I have a client at a campground site that has a box camera installed in a heated enclosure, but during off-season (winter), the power is off throughout the premises, therefore the camera is not longer heated, but then again the camera is OFF as well. Can humidity and cold somehow affect or damage the camera for when it is turned on again the following spring? I usually take it off, but since it is located at 20 ft high on a bending pole, I am hoping I don't have to.

Can someone confirm?

Regards,

-Ron

Hi. should not be a problem. but its like everything. Maintenance keeps your system good. if its not used i would take it down (take camera out of housing) and make it part of your startup service maintenance.

spending a little time is much cheaper than buying a replacement camera.

Where in Canada are you, and just how cold does it get?

Humidity shouldn't be an issue if it's a properly sealed enclosure, but if it gets too cold and you're using auto-iris lenses, there's a chance the cold could affect the future operation of the iris (ie. mechanical moving parts). Same if it's a true day/night camera with ICR.

My client is located some 75 km north of Montreal. The coldest temperature I've seen there is -38 degrees Celsius, but temperatures below -25 degrees is rare nonetheless, probably occurring only a few days per winter season.

Well, the camera housing is sealed for the most part, but there's a fan at the back with a vent opening below it. So, no doubt humidity could get in there. When humidity freezes, God knows what can happen.

Regards,

-Ro n

Hi. should not be a problem. but its like everything. Maintenance keeps your system good. if its not used i would take it down (take camera out of housing) and make it part of your startup service maintenance.

spending a little time is much cheaper than buying a replacement camera.

Sounds good! Well, not really as I find it quite dangerous up there. I still haven't found proper safety harness in case I fall off the ladder.

Regards,

-Ron