MetzLyov

MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WAVELETT and others

Hey guys,

Here is another hot topic... (Rory, may be you can tell us if this topic was descussed before)

Which compression method do you like and why?? Each manufacturer uses one of the known compression techniques and with slight modification of the software (or firmware), they like to call their own. What operating system is being used is not important for this discussion and regardless if it is Windows, Linux, Nucleous (hope I am spelling this correctly) or machine languate written by them...

I am sure we all have our favorite ones. I am just curiuos what is your take on this topic??

Levon

Yeah is been discussed before ..

Pesonally ive found Wavelet and Mjpeg to be highest quality while using Standalones and PC cards, and they can take up more HDD space especially with PCs, but depends on the DVR. For example, to use 720x480 in GeoVision have to use Geo Mpeg4, and that is higher quality than the Mpeg4 and Wavelet, well probably cause its 720x480 compared to the others at 640x480.

When using Iview i use Wavelet, as at 640x480 it is better than Mpeg4, though takes up more HDD. Also, i use Mpeg4 for remote video on that as its faster.

Didnt see much difference between Mjpeg and Wavelet.

GeoMpeg4 was darker than the others. Mpeg 4 was smoother than Wavelet and Mjpeg.

and ofcourse there are variations of Mpeg4 on these DVRs, eg, GeoMpeg4, Mpeg4+, Mpeg4-S .... Wavelet being "Indeo", etc etc.

Wavelet on GE DVRs doesnt take that much space, i am still amazed at how long i can record for on those DVRs, compared to similar compression and HDD space, with motion, on PC DVRs.

Just from what I used, no exact facts or anything.

Rory

Question... maybe you can answer, maybe not. In regards to video compression. I understand that video compression saves space by recording a key frame of the entire image, then after that only records the changes in the frame. I have heard that in the UK, they don't allow the video compression because it doesn't record the whole image all the time, and can be subject to errors. One company I have seen uses jpegs only and claims this is why. Anyone with the straight scoop? Thanks

I doubt that, as our fellow members in the UK use alot of GeoVisions which can be Mpeg4, Wavelet or MJpeg, not to mention the thousands of low quality VCRs still being used and utilized all over the UK.

Now the UK guys can jump in, but I think the Law there states they cant use any motion recorded video as evidence in court ... (?) Hence it has to be on timelapse / continuous record.