tyman00

Geovision 8.12 to 8.5?

I have an older GV-1480 and I am currently running 8.12. We are looking to add more cameras and I was looking to go the IP route. Is it possible to upgrade to 8.5 on the older cards so we can take advantage of the IP hybrid capabilities in 8.5?

Your 1480 should handle ver 8.5 without difficulty. I'd be more concerned with your computer being able to handle the upgrade.

Thanks for the fast reply!! From context of other threads I didn't think there would be hardware compatibility issues but wanted to double check.

The PC should be ok, but I will double check the "minimum requirements" for 8.5.

We upgraded the system not too long ago and I made sure to build a quality machine that fax exceeded the minimum requirements.

3Ghz Core 2 Duo CPU was bogged down with 8.4, only has H.264 and ASP codecs which use more CPU than the Geo Mpeg4 - I ended up back with 8.33. But I was told 8.5 runs much lighter so they must have stripped it down some now, havent tested that myself. Generally now you need a super computer for Geovision. I got celerons still in the field running 8.12 like a boss

I stand corrected, this machine hasn't been updated. I really thought it was. It's a Core2 @ 2.4ghz.

It might be time for an upgrade. I could try and run 8.5, but I'm an hour away from the machine and don't really need the hassle of fighting it if resources become an issue down the road.

Thanks for all of your input!

You could always turn the frame rate down as well, which will lower the CPU usage. I did that on that last system, made it 7fps max per channel - dropped CPU down some 30-40%. Otherwise the 1480 would try to go all out. A quad core would probably be fine though.

There is a lot of information that I managed to squeeze out a Geovision engineer last time he visited us,

8.5 is spec'd for Sandy Bridge processors, They use the Sandy Bridge GPU to encode which makes a world of difference (I should probably start a different thread for this oh well)

We have i3's in the field crunching 7+ IP cameras at sub 20% cpu load, and they run fast and stable (admittedly with 4Gb of ram which is pretty cheap nowadays)

Downside of Sandy Bridge... lack of Native PCI controller, We have had no end of trouble trying to run Geovision PCI cards stable, ended up giving up on that and reverting back to the core2 series when running GV-PCI cards.

So as a Hybrid system I reckon no, leave it as is and build a Sandy bridge system for you IP stuff.

It doesn't need to be super high end processor as the GPU is really efficient at encoding/decoding (waaaay better than the CPU)

We also have celeron based 8.12 (or there about based systems out there), The reason they generally require next to no power is that they are running older cameras at far smaller resolutions, and less compressed codecs for recording. which means less load for the CPU.

In your case I think the card you have even does most of the encoding onboard, allowing much greater frame rates to be recorded, so lowering the recording rate in order to accomodate the Ip cameras I don't think is going to give you the results you want.

Best of luck though

Thanks for the mounds of information. Since this topic was last discussed the business has taken a different route that may eliminate the need to go with IP based cameras and will allow the Analog cameras to "make due" until it's time to a full system upgrade.