ljarrald

camera 2 brick attack.

this guy threw a brick at one of my cameras. he can't be very smart as he looked directly into the lens beforehand.

luckily its a vandal proof camera so the polycarbonate (i think that's what its made from) dome bent inwards and popped out again. i then repositioned the camera and all is well. the dome has a scratch on but it does not effect performance.

the screen recorder i used has chopped some frames out (like the one of the brick bouncing off the lens) so i will include some stills of the important missed out frames.

video is now private due to privacy issues. PM me for link.

smile for the camera!

?attid=0.2&disp=emb&view=att&th=1325d1dd272caedb

?attid=0.3&disp=emb&view=att&th=1325d1dd272caedb

?ui=2&ik=f7f9128a1c&view=att&th=1325d1dd272caedb&attid=0.9&disp=inline&realattid=f_gshabwlq8&zw

this image looks the same as the one above, but have a look at cam4, you can see the brick after it has bounced off my camera

?ui=2&ik=f7f9128a1c&view=att&th=1325d1dd272caedb&attid=0.10&disp=inline&realattid=f_gshabwlw9&zw

i am not going to take action because that will make matters worse. i do however have the footage saved in multiple remote locations so if he starts causing trouble, i can hand this over to the police.

Edited by Guest

And that's why I like vandal domes.

Yup - if that had been your average bullet cam, it would be looking in a completely different direction afterward... at the very least.

And that's why I like vandal domes.

Yup - if that had been your average bullet cam, it would be looking in a completely different direction afterward... at the very least.

Bullet cams (and conventional cameras, if mounted too low) make great pinata's for the hoodlums around here- probably 75% of what we install are domes.

Two thumbs up on dome cameras.

Hell... if that was one of those five-pound (weight, not cost) Pano domes, I doubt that lens would have even budged.

170180_1.jpg

well the camera moved because the bubble must of flexed in so much it hit the actual lens. the camera chip was tightened so i don't think just the vibration moved it. i have taken hint from this and in my other domes at tamper level i have not tightened the holding screws fully. i have done it enough so it will stay put but if it gets a rock thrown at it, it will move so the lens does not get snapped off.

i have also put vibration sensors in all my domes low enough to attack. if one is attacked the dvr will send the corresponding channel into alarm, and i set up a 24 hour zone on the house alarm which will also activate (on the house alarm, one zone is a tamper for ALL the cameras.)

throwing a brick at it would likely just scratch it not push it in, even a sledge hammer has a hard time pushing it in and then when it does it shatters but stays intact. Ive taken a sledge hammer to vandal domes before by the way.

The lens probably just moved from the vibration

BTW i use bullets and domes, and sure they could move my bullets but other cameras will catch them, plus the low cost and ease to replace the bullet, $40, as opposed to locating a new cover to replace the scratched or shattered dome cover and the labour involved .. priceless For clients though if its low like that its normally domes as they arent paying for the service to drive there and step up to it and turn it gently back into position with 2 fingers. Looks like he needs some "in wall" cameras though.