jack in oz

focus problem

I've just installed my first camera. It's a Samsung SDN-500 box camera with a Pentax lens in a weatherproof housing. The focus lever on the lens is directly under the lens so I can't get my finger under the lens to adjust the focus. As I understand it, the metal ring that the lens screws into adjusts the back focus, so I can't rotate that to bring the focus lever to the top. Only option seems to be to adjust the focus with the camera removed from the housing. Is that how you guys do it? Given that I'm working up a ladder, I would much prefer to make adjustments with the camera solidly mounted in its housing.

jack

Most lenses can be turned the opposite direction after tightening to bring the adjustment knobs back to where you can reach them without loosening the lens.

Thanks guys, but if I unscrew the lens to bring the focus lever to the top the lens becomes VERY loose and flops about. And the back focus ring locking screws can't be accessed with the camera in the housing. Aaaaaggghhhh!

Most lenses I've used, once they seat on the lens mount, will turn at least another 180 degrees clockwise (some up to 270 degrees) to put the zoom/focus locks into a more accessibly position.

Soundy,

you're worth your weight in gold! I was able to rotate the lens clockwise to bring the zoom & focus locks to the top. I didn't realise there was a rubber seal that could be compressed. I had just assumed it was metal-to-metal.

Thanks,

Jack