Sky1

Where should I put or Hide the DVR?

I am trying to think of a good place to put the dvr to my home surveillance system. Although it is accessable via the web and all I would like to have it near a monitor but I was thinking the last thing I need it for it to be taken.

Just currious where you guys put the DVR?

I have mine in a small closet, like a sort of structured-wiring center for the whole home. I always try to hide it in a good spot, one where it will take someone some time to get to it.

Mine is within a under-stair cupboard, locked in a purpose made lock box. so even if it's found, it cannot easily be destroyed, It's fixed with wall anchors to the wall. If it is found they can destroy the cables cut them do whatever they want but the footage will still be there to show who was in my home. It;s very unlikely though I have very nosey neighbours.

I have mine in a small closet, like a sort of structured-wiring center for the whole home. I always try to hide it in a good spot, one where it will take someone some time to get to it.

Mine has its own room as well, with a locked steel door and reinforced frame. It also sits in a rack-cabinet (also locked).

Even if they get that, many of my cameras have on-board storage, and maintain images there as well as on the central DVR.

They also send images to an external server off-site.

I figured that was enough redundancy

Well I had what I though would be a great.place for it but the way they dud the insulatiin there means I need ti get a longer snake. Just hooked it up temporarilly to see how the camera are aimed. So far so good, just a minor adjustment on two of them. Got 4 more cameras to go and then the DVR in its final location.

Conditioned attic.

It's not locked in a box or anything, no offsite storage, but I have considered hiring a tiny ninja with an ex-kgb mercenary sidekick to guard it.

in the cellar.

170959_1.jpg

170959_2.jpg

170959_3.jpg

170959_4.jpg

these pics are quite old but its the only ones i have... its STILL not bloody finished but when it is it will have all the PSUs, alarm boxes and other things on the back wall, the DVR will be in a lockbox i made that is bolted to the desk, the DVR will have a wooden wall around it that needs a key and screwdriver to get to (door on hinge, screwed shut) and then the monitor will be next to it with the keyboard that controls the DVR and ptzs infront of it AND THEN it will have a big door infront of that... oh, and then it will have a load of ****e infront of it as we use that part of the cellar for storage...

once the system is finished, i wont need access to the dvr unless something goes wrong or i want to change the setup. so i dont mind it being a pain in the ass to get to. (oh, and the 'cupboard' its in will be linked to a 24HR zone on the alarm panel and i'll get a text if it's tripped...

AND it has a fire detector in incase something goes wrong, and i MAY put an auto CO2 extinguisher in there so if anything other than the DVR does catch fire, it does not spread and destroy evidence on the DVR.

a bit OTT, yes but... why not?

I just put my first one in the back of a very high shelf of a bathroom cupboard. It can't be reached unless you are 6'8" or standing on a chair. A friend ran power to it. I ran Ethernet to it. I folded up a big towel with fake brown stains and put it in front of it. You look up there and go yuck!.. I think it will work well. My friend thought I should put it in my gun safe, but that's already full and I didn't want to move it, let alone try to drill holes in it and wire it through an outside wall or floor. How's that for my first post?

- Joe