alpine0000

Has anybody used the new Vivotek FD8162?

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?network_camera=fd8162&tab=over

If so, how do you like it? It claims to have WDR, which should help with the issue I am having with my FD8161, where sunlight totally drowns it out. I wouldn't be replacing the 8161, just adding these two cameras to my setup to replace some older non-ip, non-mp cams.

Exacq doesnt list this as a supported camera on their website. I emailed them to double check, but haven't heard back yet. Although, the camera is listed as having ONVIF support, so who knows...

eWDR functionality is not as good as true WDR on analogs yet but its better than zilch. With the eWDR Vivoteks I've used, I'd rate them about 60-70% as effective as a true WDR on an analog. Oddly enough, Exacq's camera list lags behind. They don't support Vivoteks new FE8171V fisheye camera either. I suppose you could try pretending it was an 8161 though and see what happens.

The email I got today from Exacq:

---------------------------------------------

William,

It does not look like we have done any testing specifically with the FD8162, nor do we have one in house. We have tested with the FD8161 and it worked just fine. The website is updated weekly if not daily with new additions, newly tested firmware, etc.

In short, I can't say that it is officially supported but it will most likely work.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Exacq Support

Edited by Guest

And the email I got from Avigilon asking if they supported the FD8161 and/or the FD8162. Bummer about the motion detection:

---------------------------------------------

Both the vivotek cameras listed are on the list of ONVIF conformant products which we support in ACC:

onvif.org

FD8161

Product Details

Revision 0100h

FD8162

Product Details

Revision FD8162-VVTK-0100b

The motion detection will not be implemented for the Vivotek cameras but will record continuous.

eWDR functionality is not as good as true WDR on analogs yet but its better than zilch. With the eWDR Vivoteks I've used, I'd rate them about 60-70% as effective as a true WDR on an analog. Oddly enough, Exacq's camera list lags behind. They don't support Vivoteks new FE8171V fisheye camera either. I suppose you could try pretending it was an 8161 though and see what happens.

Hmm. That's unfortunate... but good to know.

Anybody have an opinion on Acti's WDR?

It's the same. The WDR ability on MP cameras is roughly between 60-80% as effective as any WDR analog. It's certainly not god awful and its a hell of a lot better than none at all, but if you're in need of serious WDR, go with an analog.