jsutherland7

Connecting to Digital Sprite 2 externally?

Hi all,

Im doing a small project in order to gain some knowledge on connecting to live cameras using DVR's. The DVR im working with is a Digital Spire 2 Plus.

I have managed to view the camera over an internet browser on a seperate computer but on the same network..

I know want to view it off site and 2 miles away from the actual Camera and DVR..

I Have a static IP address. I was told that if i type in my external IP address off site that i could connect easily to it but it wont load?

Any help would be very much appreicated!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Im doing a small project in order to gain some knowledge on connecting to live cameras using DVR's. The DVR im working with is a Digital Spire 2 Plus.

I have managed to view the camera over an internet browser on a seperate computer but on the same network..

I know want to view it off site and 2 miles away from the actual Camera and DVR..

I Have a static IP address. I was told that if i type in my external IP address off site that i could connect easily to it but it wont load?

Any help would be very much appreicated!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Assuming that you have a router/firewall of some sort, you need to first determine what ports are needed for the DVR. The DVR needs to have a static address, and that address has to be assigned to what is called a NAT or Pinhole firewall rule in your router to redirect external requests to the internal IP address of your DVR.

I am playing with a DS2 and forward port 80 to it's static ip and it works well. I use a free dns service, I don't know how secure that is though. Still working on it now.

I am playing with a DS2 and forward port 80 to it's static ip and it works well. I use a free dns service, I don't know how secure that is though. Still working on it now.

Anyone who finds the static IP address or the DNS name can get access to the system. As long as you have a username and password on the unit you will be ok (provided it is NOT the default one, you must change it)