I need to buy a monitor for my residential CCTV system. I would like to install the monitor in the alcove above the fridge in my kitchen. The space is 870mm wide.

The DVR is in a cupboard about 8m away, so the cable from the DVR to the monitor will be about 12m long. The DVR has both VGA and video (BNC) outputs. So, my options seem to be either a small LCD TV or large LCD computer monitor. The monitor seems like the cheapest option, but I’m not sure how I would go about drawing a VGA socket through the two wall cavities. I’m also unsure about how long a VGA cable can be without excessive loss of signal.

What do you guys recommend?

Jack

As long as you use a good-quality shielded VGA cable, you can do 100' or more, easily.

An easier option might be to pull some Cat5e and use either VGA baluns, or a KVM extender (if you want a mouse/keyboard at the remote end as well).

I need to buy a monitor for my residential CCTV system. I would like to install the monitor in the alcove above the fridge in my kitchen. The space is 870mm wide.

The DVR is in a cupboard about 8m away, so the cable from the DVR to the monitor will be about 12m long. The DVR has both VGA and video (BNC) outputs. So, my options seem to be either a small LCD TV or large LCD computer monitor. The monitor seems like the cheapest option, but I’m not sure how I would go about drawing a VGA socket through the two wall cavities. I’m also unsure about how long a VGA cable can be without excessive loss of signal.

What do you guys recommend?

Jack

For around $70 USD, Iogear makes a wireless video-sender that does HD video over a wireless connection. These are used often for those who wall-mount a TV and don't want a bunch of cables hanging off of it. Nyrius, Startech, and Philips make similar products.