Sign in to follow this  
theprez

Problems with the SWANN SW242-SR4/AVC-760-EN

Hello,

I'm attempting to resolve an issue that is impacting one of the operations that I support. This particular unit appears to have problems with Internet connectivity. It will permit you to view the cameras remotely for a time then refuse connections with "Login Failed" on Video Server E.

This is usually rectified by powercycling the unit - it will then allow connections again for a while before eventually no longer doing so. I don't believe its specific for this particular device...several other units under the same brand seem to exhbit this same behavior. I know it's not an issue with the internet connections - it does this locally on the same network and remotely.

It's currently running 2030-10-k8-04-aa-14 on all 3 devices...any suggestions?

Sometimes you have to do the software Quality Assurance for these companies yourself...

Having done LOTS of troubleshooting flaky problems like this, I would try:

a) Do a factory-reset of the unit

b) try it with a blank password

c) Using the free WireShark application and a Ethernet hub, watch the network traffic to see if the DVR/client communication is failing at some part of the login.

d) Also look at the LAN traffic to see if there is excessive broadcast network traffic or other issues.

d) Revert to an OLDER version of the firmware, if possible.

e) check to see that the time is correct on the unit..that can affect authentication on some computer systems.

f) Also consider the power settings on the PC. If power settings are causing the network adapter to disconnect, that may affect applications.

Thanks for the input - Wireshark once again has proved to be a lifesafer. There is a lot of IGMP traffic and broadcast traffic on their network - not sure if perhap this device just isn't able to handle it.

One thing for cetain is that it's certainly shutting down the ability to login until a powercycle.

We are in the process of convincing the owners to dump that unit - I believe it's around 5 years old. Hard to sell the case when it works - just doesn't work for one feature...remote access. Which all of a sudden they now want to use...

It's less than 10 foot - it's connected directly from the SW242 to a Netgear GS116E switch. I'm going to try to connect it directly to the DSL modem during their off hours to see if it happens as well.