troy6363

Question about 24V Power Supply

I am purchasing 2 cameras that require 24VAC along with 2 housings that has a heater and fan that also require 24VAC to power. I've never hooked up a housing that has this. Im using RG59 siamese cable 18/2. Since I am only using 2 cameras, Do I use "two" 24v transformers, How do I power the fan and heater in the housing? Surely I dont go buy a 24V 16 ch power supply box for 2 cameras. Can someone shed some light?

You need to figure out how much total power the cameras and housings will require. Then buy a power supply rated for that amount, plus about 15-20%.

Normally you'd run each camera/housing combo on a separate fused line back to the power source.

A 8 or 16 device power supply is just one big-ass transformer, and 8 (or 16) fused connections off that single transformer.

The inside of the housing will often have a distribution board in it through which you will connect the 24V input, the camera and the heater. There will also be a fuse in the distribution board. Just give it a little thought before you start and you'll find it very easy. Good luck....

Surely I dont go buy a 24V 16 ch power supply box for 2 cameras. Can someone shed some light?

1 16-ch power supply @ $40 isn't much more than 2 of those $14 transformers. Plus if you ever add more cameras it will really pay off.

Most of the cameras/housings that I have installed in the past have a pigtail out of the circuit board to power the camera after you power the heater in the housing.

Or you can just split the power wire in the camera housing to run both.

Most 24vac power supplies are sufficient to run both devices unless the housing is just a power draw beast

Hi,

I got your email, not sure if you got my reply. You can use the 2 24 VAC transformers that i showed you or you can use a power box. The price wise there isnt much difference, but size wise the 2 transformers are smaller. If you plan on expanding, you can go with a power box. If you will just need these 2 cameras and no plans for expansion, then go with the 2 transformers.

I would beware of hooking up the same power supply to the camera and the "accessories". You may have issues with video quality when the heater element draws current suddenly, etc.

It all depends on the amperage that the power supply is able to output. The transformers I recommended to him will power both housing and camera. Some lower amped power supplies will have the problem that you stated.

Yes you can typically run 2 cameras off 1 transformer as long as it can handle the power, but sometimes if they arent the same exact camera you might run into problems. Its best to use 2 separate transformers. I would normally just get a 4 channel fused Power Supply box, but its up to you, either will work.