Jay Jay

Comparing Mux/DVR's

Yep she sure is a PC just checked it out again, well designed though!

Not a PC like what we use though, as it does not use typical computer parts, if indeed they are using Power PC parts. I cant open it as I cant afford it if I break it! :-0

Remember, PC = Personal Computer, which it is not. I imagine their Muxes are the same also, inside? Maybe they use a different OS for them since they do not require Hard Drives, etc?

We can build it too, but we need some power PC parts and a full licence for Nucleus.

And ofcourse about a year of learning Nucleus.. then again there is the case and production problem

Do they use SCSI drives? also, can you see how the Video ports are connected to the board? Take a photo if you can

I have closed it up now!, but there is a multiple pin array (one small connector) for the video connectors and they are looped through.

The CDRW is a top of the range Plextor, well at least mine was, I bet they are different as mine would have been made locally and I guess that is why mine was a light grey as well.

It is basically a normal PC has ram slots and a CPU but yes, slightly proprietry but none the less I would have to call it a computer not a PC but definately a computer... there fore you sell computer based DVRS

Not bad in design, beats me how you have never had to open one up, what do you do if a HDD fails?

if the HD fails you have to send it back to the manufacturer, or have spare ones, though they claim that violates the warranty by opening it up, this is no different then other manufacturers (I cant speak for the Asian guys). It has wavebrowser on the HD, though the actual OS is in EPROM.

None have ever failed in the past 2 years Thats why I like them.

Everything is a computer these days, and Ill bet most of the embedded DVRs use the same OS, such as Phillips which used to use Kalatels DVRs, DM, etc. Check out Nucleus web site and Power PC web site, and you will see that they are primarily used in microelectronic devices. Power PC also supports Linux so there may be alot of Linux Embedded DVRs out there using the power PC parts also. I wonder why they call it Power PC, as its not a Personal Computer, the parts are geared towards embedded machines, and then also, it doesnt look all that powerful, as far as CPU speeds go!

One difference here is that no OS programming/settings etc, are on the HD, it is saved in memory, only Video is kept on the HD, and in the new versions of the StoreSafe, the WaveBrowser software for browser based video.